Paph Jupiter I think not

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I bought this as Paph Jupiter which is hookerae x rothschildianum but I have my doubts about that. The flower is small and the petals are pendulous and twist. It looks to have hookerae in it, especially the dorsal and the beautiful leaves. But I can't see any roth. Maybe phillipinense x hookerae. None of the colour seems to have come through. The colours are very bland. Disappointing outcome in all respects.

I couldn't find any photos of Paph Jupiter to compare it against. I thought my plant might be the first photo posted of it on the internet but now I don't know what it is. Has anyone ever seen Paph Jupiter?

There is a believable picture of Paph Jupiter on the slipperorchids.info website. This is not Jupiter. It looks more like a parishii hybrid to me, rather than philippinense. Either way, I don't see how it could have petals with that length and twist if it was a hookerae primary. That foliage surely comes form some Barbata though. I'm not sure I'd expect this outcome from any primary. Overall I wouldn't find this at all disappointing except that it isn't what you expected, and it is NoID.

I agree with PaphMadMan... parishii or philippinense instead of roth...

There is this pic on the web which definitely shows that your suspicions are justified for it not being Jupiter!

1988-0247-ORK_026_SZ336.jpg

I see parishii for sure, staminode and petal twisting but I don't see the hookerae. Its staminode is quit dominating in most cases such as the second plant. Maybe Dot's right about the masterianum

Parishii x mastersianum would make an interesting cross, I wonder what that would look like.
Attractive hybrid David, pity about the ID though.

Not really. This plant has very strongly mottled leaves so it clearly has a Barbata species in it. I personally don't think it has parishii in it. The leaves are very long and narrow. Therefore the multi parent to me has to be a corypedilum species. If it was parishii the leaves would be much shorter and wider. The fact that the petals are twisting suggests it could be phillipinense or praestans/ wilhelminiae. Given the size of the leaves more likely phillipinense.

The leaves have purple underneath which suggests it could be hookerae as the Barbata species. The leaves have a lot of hookerae in them. But still I'm not certain.

I think it is a Corypedilum species crossed with a Barbata species. If the original hookerae parent is correct than most likely with phillipinense.

Paph Inglelore (? spelling) would be about the closest that you will get to it to see what it looks like to see if you are on the right track (at least I think so, I am not sure, but I think it is appletonianum x philippinense?)

Are people quite convinced that this hybrid is even primary? Many primaries have been suggested from which that flower _OR_ that foliage might result, but so far it has been difficult to imagine a primary cross that could be expected to create the whole package.

Are people quite convinced that this hybrid is even primary? Many primaries have been suggested from which that flower _OR_ that foliage might result, but so far it has been difficult to imagine a primary cross that could be expected to create the whole package.

I did question whether it could be a primary at all. I agree, it seems very unlikely that any primary could have leaves that boldly marked above and colored below, AND have petals that long and twisty. Maybe in F2 or F3 generation, but not a direct F1 primary.

You are right. The reality is I don't think we will ever know. I'll contact the seller and see if he can shed some light. Unlikely though.

I did question whether it could be a primary at all. I agree, it seems very unlikely that any primary could have leaves that boldly marked above and colored below, AND have petals that long and twisty. Maybe in F2 or F3 generation, but not a direct F1 primary.

The petals are only 9cm long which I would consider pretty short.

I just got in contact with the person I bought if from. This came from a flask he purchased almost 20 years ago. He has flowered one himself and he said it wasn't as nice as mine. He believes it is philippinense x hookerae. This cross is called Paph Hamana Hooknes.

Latest posts

Back