Paph Ho Chi Minh

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jenn4a

I'm keeping my paph posts separate since I'm including many photos for both paphs
My Paph HCM seems to be the happiest of my two paphs. His leaves have also grown in the month that I got him :) arrived on 12/24/14 He was potted in Sphagnum moss covered by bark on top, I almost rotted him! I thought he was in just bark. his roots are too big to fit into a 3" pot, so I put him in a DIY 3.5" pot. The first time I potted him, I had only 4" pots, but then I moved him to 3.5". My concerns with him: I know paphs don't always have many roots; that kind of makes me nervous. Also, it doesn't seem like the roots are secure to the base of the plant. Is this normal for paphs? The roots move freely, almost like they could fall off.
I Have him in leca, sphag, and perlite. Maybe some bark? This one seems to like having constant moisture.

I'll try to add the photos from oldest first, to newest last. Sorry for so many pics, I just love this paph :)

It might just be me, but the leaf on the bottom left looks like it's turning yellow :(

Thanks! I got it from Kawamoto Orchids on eBay :) He definitely is more easygoing than my Sukhakulii. For now I might try sticking to hybrids.
As a serial Paph killer, I say that it's a good idea to do so. I started with almost only species and have killed a lot during my less than three years as a Paph owner (I've killed hybrids too, but that's because I'm talented in a special kind of way). Hybrids are usually more hardy.

The foliage is absolutely gorgeous.

As a serial Paph killer, I say that it's a good idea to do so. I started with almost only species and have killed a lot during my less than three years as a Paph owner (I've killed hybrids too, but that's because I'm talented in a special kind of way). Hybrids are usually more hardy.

The foliage is absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks! I would be sad if I killed this one. :( well I would be sad if any of my orchids died.. (Yea I know it'll happen sooner or later, esp. as a beginner.)

What would be considered premature leaf yellowing? This paph lost a leaf 1-2 weeks ago, and another leaf is already yellow. I was thinking it might be due to repotting him. I know they "shed" bottom leaves for various reasons, but how can you tell if it's normal, or an indication of a problem?

Thanks! I would be sad if I killed this one. :( well I would be sad if any of my orchids died.. (Yea I know it'll happen sooner or later, esp. as a beginner.)

What would be considered premature leaf yellowing? This paph lost a leaf 1-2 weeks ago, and another leaf is already yellow. I was thinking it might be due to repotting him. I know they "shed" bottom leaves for various reasons, but how can you tell if it's normal, or an indication of a problem?
I would say that it sounds like premature leaf yellowing, but considering it has been repotted twice in a month (plus shipping etc.), that's not particularly strange. The best thing to do now, is to leave it alone and let it do its thing.

I think it's depending on how strong/mature the plant is how many leaves it can keep (it's also genetic of course, or at least that's what I think). If it loses more leaves than it gains, then that's a problem.

Many of my Paphs usually have one leaf less than when I got them (from keeping 6 to 5 for example), and I think that's because my conditions/culture are not optimal for them. Others have gotten more, which means that what I can provide apparently fit these individuals.

I hope you won't kill any or at least not that many. There are many members here who aren't wanted by the Slipper police for Paph murder, so it can be done. :wink:

The second repotting seems to have accelerated the yellowing. :( I'm not going to mess with him unless I suspect root damage. I don't think there's any rot going on though, probably stress.
His next watering, I'll reserve some bottled water for him. I'll try to check the pH of the run off too.

I think pots still are too big though you showed one plant had one pot smaller inside another. If you don't have pots small enough you can always use styrofoam or plastic cups with holes put in them. I used to have more phal seedlings with long roots but not lots of roots (lots from keikis) so these cups being taller and narrower worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right. :(
I did try putting it into a 3" pot, but the plant was too tall. If I were to put it in the 3", it would really bend the roots. The roots aren't very secured to the base of the plant either, I believe. It seemed like the roots could drop off the plant so I didn't want to force him into a smaller pot. The plant came in a 3.5" pot, and the new one is about the same. (I have LECA and bark at the bottom.)

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: what do you do with hybrids that are part calcareous?

Thanks!

don't repot it again, but do add some more moss around the base of the plant so that when new roots emerge they can contact moisture.

to answer your question, roots should be firmly attached to the base of the plant. if they are just hanging on it means they are damaged. but nothing to do about that now except keep growing it and it will evenutally put out new roots (which could take up to 6 months). i think the plant should be fine.

Awe, poor paph. :( I noticed the roots were like that when I unpotted them the first time.. I don't know why they're damaged; the roots were attached to the pot. Could the damage have happened during shipping, or is it likely from being removed from the original pot? I hope it wasn't from me.

I'll treat him carefully, but I'll try not to worry too much. The roots he has still seem okay for the most part. There's some holes that look like bite marks in one root, but below that portion, the root looks healthy.

*ETA, I added some bark around the base of the plant. I've been adding bark and LECA around my plants after reading about that. Thanks guys! I noticed after I added bark around Fritz the 2nd that two new roots are emerging from the base of the new growth. :) without you guys, I would still be afraid to rot them by adding more media around them. I will try to add new photos to make sure it's enough.

Back