Paph Harold Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done David, on all counts. The Catt' isn't bad at all, was it awarded also ???

Thanks Roy. The catt was was pretty good. I don't think the photo does it justice either. No complaints from me about the decision. No, it wasn't judged. It had a clonal name on it, so I'm not sure if it was previously awarded.

David

How about " Varicose Veins"

Not sure if you were joking Roy, but that is a great suggestion, if not a little unromantic. I like the idea of a name that describes the flower and your name says it all. I could do the obvious thing and just name it after my 3 year old daughter but then it would be a clonal name following a hybrid name (Harold Koopowitz).

Decisions, Decisions. It is harder then naming my child.

David

David, my suggestion was a little tongue in cheek but it fits. You could also call it 'Dusty" after what's happen in your area lately.. TIC again.

"Varicose Veins" is just a little too much I think. Something like "Venous Red" (or "Red Venous") may sound better. I think I prefer the first one which is actually the name of a current movie. Can anyone else come up with something better?

Thankfully today is much better. The heavy overnight rain helped. Still the dust storm here was nothing like Sydney at the moment. That is amazing.

David

Last edited:
"Varicose Veins" is just a little too much I think. Something like "Venous Red" (or "Red Venous") may sound better. I think I prefer the first one which is actually the name of a current movie. Can anyone else come up with something better?
I have to agree!
I like Venous Red/Red Venous.
Reminds me of stained glass, spider web, fish netting, butterfly markings,
or maybe a type of lace, Torchon ('Red Torchon').......
http://lace.lacefairy.com/Lace/ID/TorchonID.html

Paph Harold Koopowitz 'Venous Red'

Did you ever decide?

Sorry Rose for the delay in replying. I'm recovering in Kathmandu after an intense 3 week trek in Western Nepal. I will shortly start some new adventures here.

I did call it 'Venous Red' in the end. I thought about naming it after my daughter etc but as my plant was a division of someone else's plant I thought a name describing the distinctive flower would be more appropriate.

'Venous Red' is also the name of a recent movie.

When I return to Australia in December, I'm hoping to have a few multis in flower. There were quite a few in bud when I left. Hopefully they will still be in flower.

David

hi David! Working over there or hard holidays?? Jean

Holidays but not the type where you are sitting on a beach drinking champayne. The trek was amazing but very tough. Lots of high passes which made me feel my age. On one pass we went from 2000m to 4000m over 6 hours. For the last 2 hours I just shuffled in a trance. I've trekked in Nepal before (Everest, Langtang) but these were places with excellent facilities and hence lots of tourists. Western Nepal is remote and sees few westerners. Hence the facilities are poor but the rewards are much richer.

I didn't pay large amounts of money and go with a trekking group. I went with a few Nepalese friends and a couple of porters. We stayed in rough hotels in local villages and in a few cases just in local Nepalese houses where we were invited. So I got to experience Nepalese culture as close as you possibly could.

As with anywhere in Nepal, the landscapes were stunning.

Here for about 10 weeks (another 5). Off to see some wildlife reserves on Saturday for a week or so (elephants, rhinos, tigers, freshwater dolphins, gharials etc).

Cheers

David

Latest posts

Back