Paph Harold Koopowitz for indoor growing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm considering buying a paph Harold Koopowitz, and I've checked out some threads on them here. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it's possible to grow indoors only and be able to flower it? I grow all my other plants under supplemental light, so light is not an issue. I'm mostly wondering about the temp requirements. I'd prefer not to have to move it to the garage overnights in fall/winter, and it only really gets down to 67 in my room at the coldest. Any thoughts or tips/tricks to get the right temps without a lot of fuss would be appreciated. Thanks!

It is a relatively easy grower, nothing really particular about its care compared to typical paphs.
The only thing you need to be aware is that the mentioned hybrid is one of those that are reluctant to bloom no matter what you do with it.
You may be luck to see it bloom once and never see it bloom again for many many years. Many people never get to see theirs bloom ever, not matter how big the plant.
So, there you go!
One of my society members bought one from Orchid Inn and his bloomed with very large and pretty flowers.
I bought one from Park Side long ago and it bloomed with ok flowers (3). It grew very well but blooming is a whole another story.
The same goes with pretty much any roth x parvi/brachy hybrids.

It is a relatively easy grower, nothing really particular about its care compared to typical paphs.
The only thing you need to be aware is that the mentioned hybrid is one of those that are reluctant to bloom no matter what you do with it.
You may be luck to see it bloom once and never see it bloom again for many many years. Many people never get to see theirs bloom ever, not matter how big the plant.
So, there you go!
One of my society members bought one from Orchid Inn and his bloomed with very large and pretty flowers.
I bought one from Park Side long ago and it bloomed with ok flowers (3). It grew very well but blooming is a whole another story.
The same goes with pretty much any roth x parvi/brachy hybrids.
Oh, well that is definitely good to know! Perhaps I'll reconsider then. I love how the flower looks, and the possibility of fragrance, but if I never get it to flower then both of those qualities are pointless.

These hybrids are not fragrant. Plus, even when they do bloom, they often are deformed/malformed. See the Dollgoldi in the Paph photo section as an example.

I have two, they are easy aggressive growers and both have flowered... I would recommend one. I believe, on this forum, I said "Everyone needs one"!
I wish I could be sure the one I would get would be an easier bloomer, but it's a bit risky sounds like! And I only have so much space, I'd hate to use some of it for a plant I might never bloom.

Hello all. I'm considering buying a paph Harold Koopowitz, and I've checked out some threads on them here. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if it's possible to grow indoors only and be able to flower it? I grow all my other plants under supplemental light, so light is not an issue. I'm mostly wondering about the temp requirements. I'd prefer not to have to move it to the garage overnights in fall/winter, and it only really gets down to 67 in my room at the coldest. Any thoughts or tips/tricks to get the right temps without a lot of fuss would be appreciated. Thanks!
I grow under lights (LED) inside. Summer high 84 low 70 , winter high 72 low 62-65. Mine has bloomed but just skipped a year. One thing you can do, if possible, is open the door at night to your room. That will dissipate the daytime warmth. My room is in the basement which is cooler, so it enables me to go to 62 sometimes in winter if I open the door to the cooler basement.

I grow under lights (LED) inside. Summer high 84 low 70 , winter high 72 low 62-65. Mine has bloomed but just skipped a year. One thing you can do, if possible, is open the door at night to your room. That will dissipate the daytime warmth. My room is in the basement which is cooler, so it enables me to go to 62 sometimes in winter if I open the door to the cooler basement.
I don't think Oklahoma really does a lot of houses with basements, and certainly mine doesn't have one. But thank you for the information!

Latest posts

Back