Paph. fairrieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

consettbay2003

Reaction score
This is one of my favourite species but I am not particularly adept at growing it successfully. I would appreciate input from any members who
are successful with growing it. I know that Terry Root (OZ) has indicated that it might be a short lived species but hopefully someone is willing to share their secrets.

I think they like bright light and to be kept moist at all times. I grow in small fir bark mix and use 30-10-10 w/tapwater every watering.

I just got my first fairrie, and they are short lived???
About how long do they last according to Terry Root??
I have heard many people complain about killing this species easily, but then I have seen quite a few photos of gigantic sized specimens full of flowers.

Mine is a second bloom plant with three new shoots developing.
Let's see how long mine will last. but then, my condition is not the ideal so this will be interesting...challenge.

I also like to hear from those who have been able to (or more correctly, long living clones) grow this for a number of years with success.

After some digging, I found this. I love it!!!

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5980&highlight=fairrieanum

Its habitat in Bhutan and the Eastern Himalayas suggest that it would benefit from not a cool but rather a cold period during the winter months. i.e. 45 F nights.

Its habitat in Bhutan and the Eastern Himalayas suggest that it would benefit from not a cool but rather a cold period during the winter months. i.e. 45 F nights.

I agree, but I also assume that unique local micro climate might exist where this species is found? No idea though!

The thing is people of pretty much any climate can cultivate this species as long as they have the "right" clone.

I saw one of the old threads on fairrieanum last night where this person claims that he or she acquired a plant with a single fan, which in just two years time became a decent sized clump with a bunch of flower spikes.
That member grew under light ( forgot what light) and temperature is always above 70F, the plant flowers constantly.
I find it hard to believe, but that's what the thread was about.

Latest posts

Back