Paph. druyii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
I got this from Porter's Orchids the other day. There were 3 in bloom and 2 more with buds, and it was difficult to choose because they all looked good. I see that this species must need to be multi-growth before it blooms, 'cause these have been in the greenhouse for several years, and this is their first blooming.

Paph_druyii.jpg

neat...
i've heard that it can take up to three years for each growth to mature and that it takes more light in the winter than it does in the summer. that being said, i killed the only one i tried to grow....

ive got one in high sheath now with just a single growth. it shouldnt really need a lot of growths to flower. also its slow but not as slow as some paphs...(sanderianum, stonei, anitum, emersonii..)

If you give these guys high light and summer heat enough to support vandas they will grow very fast and bloom on one year growths. Much cooler and dryer in winter. They come from grassland and scrubby shrub areas (usually impacted by grazing) so they are very exposed relative to other paph species. It regularly gets into the 90's in summer and low 50's in the winter. Its monsoon season now, and they will probably get a good 75 inches of rain over the next 4 or so months.

The region is calcareous, so I support mine with limestone and oyster shell in the potting mix. Mine grows more like a cattleya with big thick rhizomes going over the side of the pot. It may take a while for the new growths to get roots, but they will bloom without them too.

very nice Dot and great picture! I have always admired this species...I think I should do something about that :D

completely right Ron!! I did it some months ago, but the 2 growths are still so small!! (+/- 10 cm leaf-span :eek:). I should try Rick's regime. Jean

Here's a pic of the growth potential of druryi. The rhizome like growth started the season after I purchased it in 5/04. This rhizome has a total of 9 growths now. 3 have already bloomed and 1 is in bloom now. It's actually developing side growths now.

Very nice!

I put mine outside a few days ago and this weekend we have 98F and super high humidity. Hope it likes it :)

Latest posts

Back