Paph dianthum - 7 spikes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! There is no doubt; you are the dianthum master. Well done!

So, make a 3D photo and post it here for us to enjoy. Take 2 photos. After you take the first one, slide the camera left or right about 3 or 4 inches, keeping it exactly the same distance from the plant. Then take the second photo. In a photo editing program, copy and paste both photos side by side (in the same order that you took them), onto a blank background. Save it...and click "yes" when you are warned that you will be merging all 3 together into one new photo. Post it here and if we cross our eyes slightly while looking at the two nearly identical photos, we will see a clear, 3D image emerge in the middle, with a fuzzy 2D image off to the left and right. It would be neat to have a permanent 3D record of this stunning plant!

Last edited:
Please tell me you're taking that to judging! This needs to be recognized for what it is- the best grown dianthum to date! Congratulations David on the accomplishment. What will it look like in 2 more years?

First bloom seedling you say? :poke:LOL. I'm not sure about any culture award but I have always thought the flowers were awardable. Have you ever taken this plant in?

Beautifully grown. I'm excited that I am about to have my first spike on a small plant...
Dennis

OMG! There is no doubt; you are the dianthum master. Well done!

So, make a 3D photo and post it here for us to enjoy. Take 2 photos. After you take the first one, slide the camera left or right about 3 or 4 inches, keeping it exactly the same distance from the plant. Then, in a photo editing program, copy and paste both photos side by side (in the same order that you took them), onto a blank background. Save it...and click "yes" when you are warned that you will be merging all 3 together into one new photo. Post it here and if we cross our eyes slightly while looking at the two nearly identical photos, we will see a clear, 3D image emerge in the middle, with a fuzzy 2D image off to the left and right.

Thanks John. I'll have to wait until the weekend. I'll see what I can come up with.

Yes, it is the same plant. It looks a bit different. I think it has got a bit too much light in the last two years with our extremely hot and intense summers. I've actually put a third layer of shade cloth on in recent weeks to give abit more shade. The flowers are a bit lighter as well. I wonder if that is due to the hot temperatures. Cool temps usually result in darker more colourful flowers.

Please tell me you're taking that to judging! This needs to be recognized for what it is- the best grown dianthum to date! Congratulations David on the accomplishment. What will it look like in 2 more years?

I took it to our monthly meeting a couple of weeks back and the judges were floored. Unfortunately we don't have enough judges in Canberra for it to be awarded. They are trying to sort out how to get it judged. There is an orchid workshop down the coast in 3 weeks where there should be enough judges, so hopefully it can hold on to then. It should. Anyone know if there are any guidelines for cultural awards for Paphs? Do you need a certain amount of spikes or is it just totally subjective. I expect an insigne would need more spikes than a rothschildianum.

In two years, maybe an extra spike or two. We'll have to wait and see.

First bloom seedling you say? :poke:LOL. I'm not sure about any culture award but I have always thought the flowers were awardable. Have you ever taken this plant in?

The judges looked at it once Rick when it had 5 spikes. I'm told they debated awarding it but didn't in the end. The flowers at that stage were 3 months or so old and well past there best. In the current flowering, the dorsal on many of the flowers is very twisted, which is normal for this species. But it is a variable trait as the dorsal in the closeup photo I posted is perfectly straight. Some flowers are twisted, others are straight. I'm not sure how the judges would look at that.

In the States, the plant itself should be very clean of abrasions, insect markings, yellowed leaves etc.
What I'm told of the Aussie judges they should be up to speed with Paphs and should take into consideration the twistie dorsal habit of this species. I would say go for it.

In the States, the plant itself should be very clean of abrasions, insect markings, yellowed leaves etc.
What I'm told of the Aussie judges they should be up to speed with Paphs and should take into consideration the twistie dorsal habit of this species. I would say go for it.

Thanks Rick. The plants leaves might be a problem then. They are looking a little battered after a tough summer. Quite a few of the leaves from the old growths are just starting to go at the same time which is making it look worse.

Latest posts

Back