paph, dendro and more from the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems our dear Paphs are more lithophytes than terrestrials.

You knew this all along... your rocks + leaf litter mix and all. Give yourself some credit. :) Paphs aren't terrestrial. The lithophtytes grow above/on rocks and their roots ramble through overlaying leaf litter and such; the epiphytes rely on junk accumulating at the plant base for moisture retention and nutrients.

-Ernie

those growing in situ are great paph and gave us a beauty paph and more hybrids later

Thanks for the pictures. Seems our dear Paphs are more lithophytes than terrestrials. Hmm... Did you observe much about their growth habit: how the roots rooted on the substrate? How thick was the leaf litter around those Parvies?
micranthum seems to live in drier area than malipoense. It is thick leaf around malipoense (it is reall varies depend on location), if you lift the leaf up, you can find small worm ...etc... under there. It is soaking wet if you visit them during the rain season, if you visit them during the dry season, It is still wet under there. If there is enough interest, next time i will bring a small camcorder, I will do a short clip of soild, tree and look into roots system of these plants. (I rather carry an extra water bottle than a camcorder if you know what i mean)
On the other hand, hirsutissimum, henryanum, barbi, helenae are diff, it is wet during rain season and really dry during dry season. You can find them growing everywhere, on the rock, tree, direct from the sun (specially helenae). Well, it is hard to describe with my english limited. I will satify my water both for a camcorder + battery, so you can see at least i see.
BD

would be interesting to know how much time those malipo need to spike and flower!!!
Jean,
It should be about 2 months from start untill now. You can use henry as reference, they should start at the same time and you can see flower from henry and you have to wait about another 1 1/2 months to see mali open.
BD

BD- Yes, I am sure their would be way more than enough interest in you using the camcorder! The information would be awesome, like we were trecking in the habitat ourselves!! Don't want you to go without water, though!!

Cool! Could you tell me what are the plants in #5, 9 and 10?
Kevin,
here is a run down from left to right then top to bottom,
1) close up paph micranthum
2) paph micranthum
3) paph malipoense
4) paph hirsutissimum on tree
5) paph henryanum
6) paph hirsutissimum on rock
7) paph henryanum
7) need help with translate to english
8) this is how the transfer plants from wild back to village (all mix plants)
9) Trimeresurus stejnegeri (In general, when you see triangle head snake, don't even try to get near it)
10) unknow
BD

Thanks. I got the numbers mixed up - I meant #4. You say that's a hirsutissimum? Cool to see Paphs growing as epiphytes. What are the pseudobulbs beside it?

Also #8 - the epiphyes on the tree. Are these Paphs too?

#9 - the Dendrobiums on the trees.

I bet, that lovely green snake is more effective than CITES' ruling

I have heard in south-eastern part of China, when the villagers cannot find enough grass to feed their cow, they feed their cows Paph. micranthum and ameniacum. There are that many wild Paphs. I don't know if the story is real though. If I was from there, I would make sure to take out Paph. micranthum var. alba before I feed the cows.

You can bet if I were a farmer who lives near the jungle and gets "crapless" helping from my government or well suited CITES gentlemen & ladies, and the choice is between seeing my precious cow goes hungry or some undefined green jungle weed "orchids" :confused: nope
My decision would be so darned fast & easy , so would be yours, so would be everybody else's who is in that scenario:D

more
enjoy,
BD
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Beautiful pictures Bao Dai , the fog is so much like what I experienced years ago, in Blao near Dalat.
Everyday, in the late afternoon, the fog will slowly rolling in the valley below, likes a white river, abslolutely stunning & mesmerizing. I never forget that scene .

Back