paph, dendro and more from the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baodai

Reaction score
Hello all,
I posted it here so some of you can learn something about paph from the wild. no paticular order, paph micranthum, henry, hirs, mali and some dendro.
Personally, there is more paph still exist then you thought it would be, It is the matter who do you ask and how you ask that person. If you ask them to show you where is a paticular paph located, they won't show you where, if you ask to order them, they will ask you how many kg do you want. There are alot wild orchid collectors from Vietnam, every single group has it secret location, If you add all of the un tell group together you will find alot interesting place. I'm sure there is some unknow paph that haven't discorver yet, but the collector doesn't have much knowledge about it.
Another notice, wild collector sells plant by kilo. So, dendro and other heavy orchid plants is more reasonable to collect than paph, plus they would live longer so it is easier to transfer to the buyer. I can talk more but i stop here :)
I also think, CITES should do more research before they put plant on dangerous list. They can't ask someone sit at the office and tell them how many plants acuately at the wild. (where do they gather the info, most collector won't tell them where it is), by the way pics are not taken by me
NYEric would you like to join us for a wild trip? I know Bob from Albany would like to go. It is dangerous, it is your own risk i warm you :)
Thanks,
BD

Attachments

• paph mircr.JPG
    paph mircr.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 118
  • paph mirc.JPG
    paph mirc.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 111
  • paph mali.JPG
    paph mali.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 118
  • paph hirss.JPG
    paph hirss.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 107
  • paph henry.JPG
    paph henry.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 111
  • paph hirs.JPG
    paph hirs.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 99
  • paph henry2.JPG
    paph henry2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 118
  • orchids.JPG
    orchids.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 98
  • orchid.JPG
    orchid.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 91
  • dendro.JPG
    dendro.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 94
  • dangerous.JPG
    dangerous.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 103
  • fun.JPG
    fun.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 99
thank you for sharing!! many many henryanum in bloom, wow!!

Great pictures! Very interesting!! It is very nice to see so many healthy orchids in their own habitat! So many blooming henrys!! I hope the wild collectors never find these sites you've shown us!! Thank you for sharing these awesome photos and information with us!!

Thanks for the pictures. Seems our dear Paphs are more lithophytes than terrestrials. Hmm... Did you observe much about their growth habit: how the roots rooted on the substrate? How thick was the leaf litter around those Parvies?

Great pics!!!! Thanks!!! malipo and henry :drool: ! Jean

would be interesting to know how much time those malipo need to spike and flower!!!

I have heard in south-eastern part of China, when the villagers cannot find enough grass to feed their cow, they feed their cows Paph. micranthum and ameniacum. There are that many wild Paphs. I don't know if the story is real though. If I was from there, I would make sure to take out Paph. micranthum var. alba before I feed the cows.

Back