Paph Delrosi 'Florafest' HCC/QOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David you are certainly doing something right to flower it that often. You could be right about the coolness. Here in Toowoomba I've got mine in frony of a large evaporative cooler (especially in the last couple of weeks of mid 30's & higher). It is the best one I've seen around the place & i have seen quite a few. Looks better with 4 flowers though (as when I had it awarded) must dive through all my slides & see if I can find the award pic. cheers Murray

Anna - HCC/QOS what do those letters mean at the end of an orchid name?
exactly that.
well I understood QOS mean,Queensland Orchid Society and that is refers to an award that this plant have won, but what mean HCC ?
I see often on this forum many plant with these letters at the end of orchid name, is always that refers to a prize win or not or is much more of that?.
if this beautiful Delrosi would not have won nothing ,which should be his name ?
I don't know nothing about meaning of these letters at the end of orchid name.
thanks in advance.
anna

well I understood QOS mean,Queensland Orchid Society and that is refers to an award that this plant have won, but what mean HCC ?
I see often on this forum many plant with these letters at the end of orchid name, is always that refers to a prize win or not or is much more of that?.
if this beautiful Delrosi would not have won nothing ,which should be his name ?
I don't know nothing about meaning of these letters at the end of orchid name.
thanks in advance.
anna
HCC (Highly Commended Certificate)
Awarded to orchid species or hybrids scoring 75 to 79 points inclusive on a 100-point scale.

AM (Award of Merit)
Awarded to orchid species or hybrids scoring 80 to 89 points inclusive on a 100-point scale.

FCC (First Class Certificate)
The highest flower-quality award, awarded to orchid species or hybrids scoring 90 points or more on a 100-point scale.

JC (Judges' Commendation)
Given for distinctive characteristics that the judges unanimously feel should be recognized but cannot be scored in the customary ways.

AD (Award of Distinction)
Awarded once to a cross representing a worthy new direction in Breeding. The award is granted unanimously without scoring by the judging team assigned.

AQ (Award of Quality)
Awarded once to a cross exhibited by a single individual as a group of not less than 12 plants or inflorescences of different clones of a hybrid or cultivated species. At least one of the inflorescences must receive a flower quality award and the overall quality of the group must be an improvement over the former type.

CBR (Certificate of Botanical Recognition)
Awarded to rare and unusual species with educational interest that has received no previous awards. The entire plant must be exhibited. This award is granted provisionally and filed with the judging center Chair pending taxonomic verification supplied by the exhibitor. (see Taxonomic Authorities)

CHM (Certificate of Horticultural Merit)
Awarded to a well-grown and well-flowered species or natural hybrid with characteristics that contribute to the horticultural aspects of orchidology, such as aesthetic appeal. This award is granted provisionally and filed with the judging center Chair pending taxonomic verification supplied by the exhibitor. (see Taxonomic Authorities)

CCM (Certificate of Cultural Merit)
Awarded to the exhibitor of a well-flowered specimen plant of robust health. The plant must score more between 80 and 89 points inclusive on a 100-point scale.

CCE (Certificate of Cultural Excellence)
Awarded to the exhibitor of a well-flowered specimen plant of robust health. The plant must score more than 90 points on a 100-point scale. Plants receiving this award represent the highest level of orchid culture.

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=40

That looks gorgeous David. Well grown:clap::clap:

The flowers also have great symmetry and form which doesn't always follow this hybrid.

I've seen some pretty big improvements to the parent species in my collection since going low K.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more from roth and roth hybrids as more growers start cutting back on high K fert systems.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more from roth and roth hybrids as more growers start cutting back on high K fert systems.

My roths and roth hybrids are growing fantastic since switching over. I was looking at a Lady Rothschild yesterday that had spent 6 years going nowhere. Since changing fertiliser it has grown well and now has two new leads. I expect it will flower for the first time at the end of the year.

My roths in particular have been my greatest success story. I have 6 of them at varying sizes. Until recently only one of them was doing any good and that was quite big when I bought it. Now they are all thriving and growing well. One was a tiny seedling when I got it and hadn't grown in 10 years. Now it has trippled in size. Another was a medium size seedling that I have had for at least 8 years. It had actually gone backwards and the seedling ended up getting rot at the time I changed fertilisers. It put out a new growth which is growing beautifully. I think it might flower for the first time late next year. My Sam's Best x Rex will flower at the end of this year for the first time. The one roth I have flowered (Janet x Western Springs) put out 3 new leads at the same time doubling to 6 growths.

I was pretty pessimistic about my roths at one point but now I am confident that they will all flower in time.

David you are certainly doing something right to flower it that often. You could be right about the coolness. Here in Toowoomba I've got mine in frony of a large evaporative cooler (especially in the last couple of weeks of mid 30's & higher). It is the best one I've seen around the place & i have seen quite a few. Looks better with 4 flowers though (as when I had it awarded) must dive through all my slides & see if I can find the award pic. cheers Murray

Thanks Murray. Do you have a slide scanner? It would be great to see it with four flowers. I can't recall ever seeing a Delrosi with that many flowers.

My roths and roth hybrids are growing fantastic since switching over. I was looking at a Lady Rothschild yesterday that had spent 6 years going nowhere. Since changing fertiliser it has grown well and now has two new leads. I expect it will flower for the first time at the end of the year.

That's exciting David!

Much of the original low K strategy came from physiology data from standard crop plants (corn, rice, wheat) and in those cases the antagonistic action was mostly (but not soley) between K and Ca (Mg was more secondary). I recently got hold of a paper on cotton plants which showed that in that species the primary antagonism was with Mg (not Ca).

Since roths originally came form serpentine areas, the geology they are used to is high Mg (and silicates), low Ca, and virtually non existent K. So with your use of Mag Amp with a low K system maybe we've really unleashed the roths ability to pick up Mg in your system.

That's exciting David!

Since roths originally came form serpentine areas, the geology they are used to is high Mg (and silicates), low Ca, and virtually non existent K. So with your use of Mag Amp with a low K system maybe we've really unleashed the roths ability to pick up Mg in your system.

That makes sense Rick. I first started using the Mag Amp for a short period (9-12 months) before the CMB Foliar fertiliser and noticed a significant improvement in the roths during that time. The introduction of the low K fertiliser just improved that further.

What a stunning plant and gorgeous flowers. I'm getting closer and closer to deciding to try some of my plants on the low-K regime, too.

The 2nd spike is fully open now. Unfortunately as the the spikes developed quite far apart in time they haven't presented well. They are facing the opposite direction.

Impresssive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hope my 2 plants will bear as many flowers as yours one day!

(BTW, I have young Delrosi made with delenatii vinicolor in bloom by now. Quite dark. Picture tomorrow)

What you show us is for me a completely exceptional flowering. Congratulations for the grower!

Latest posts

Back