Paph Crouching Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paph Crouching Tiger (Bel Royal x philippinense)

This is a fairly common hybrid these days, and one I like a lot. Seems to be a wide amount of variation among clones. I liked this one so much because the color of the lip is more yellow than others, and the petals got a good shot of philippinense in terms of color, stance, length, and the twists!

This is its 3rd spike since I got it less than 2 years ago. So, it's nice and vigorous.

ffsCShml.jpg

0xkiuJOl.jpg

What You have here is a bad ass hybrid!!! 5 blooms large inflourescence large nicely striped dorsel, long dark petals some people might like to see the pouch a little darker, more roth influenced but I like the shape with the red veining in it. Excellent!!!!!

That is a nice one! I registered that hybrid back in 2008. Did that one come from us (Orchids Ltd)?

Robert

That is a nice one! I registered that hybrid back in 2008. Did that one come from us (Orchids Ltd)?

Robert

It was purchased locally, but no doubt the plants were sourced from elsewhere. For what it's worth, this is BR 'Lightness' x phil. 'Clarity'. It's a great hybrid, has all the charm of a really nice philippinense.

Fantastic! How big is the plant?

It's about 10" (25cm) tall. Leaves start out with a very vertical stance, but as the plant ages, and particularly as the base of the plant starts to swell, the leaves start to lay down and are carried horizontally. Tip to tip, a large fan is about 22" (70cm) across, but 16" - 20" seems to be about average. Leaves are relatively stiff, but the short height means this thing fits nicely under the shop lights.

The petals are about 5" - 6" (10 - 13cm). They'll continue to twist for almost the entire time the plant is blooming, granted that means there are days where things look really unsymmetrical on certain blooms.

Back