Paph. Chou-Yi Ruby

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your painting, Carkin?

No, not a work of mine Dot...just an artwork that I fell in love with at a furniture store, it was out of my price range but my sweet Mom bought it for me.

I do dream of one day finding the time to paint some orchid pictures myself!!!

No, not a work of mine Dot...just an artwork that I fell in love with at a furniture store, it was out of my price range but my sweet Mom bought it for me.

I do dream of one day finding the time to paint some orchid pictures myself!!!

What a nice Mom! The painting is reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe, one of my favorite artists. I don't think she ever painted an orchid, though.

What a nice Mom! The painting is reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe, one of my favorite artists. I don't think she ever painted an orchid, though.

Thank you for sharing that artists name, I'll have to look her up! I find a lot of artists don't do orchids for some reason. But I also love peonies, that's why I was drawn to that picture. I also love wildlife pictures, Edward Spera is one of my favourite wildlife artist.

Great flower and nice leaves!
It looks like the spike is bent or damaged near the middle but still standing?

Lol, I had no idea that the spike would end up so long so I didn't stake it very well! The bent part is where the first bloom was. After the bloom died, the sheath dried up so I peeled it off just to make sure that no mealy bugs were hiding there.

Duh! stupid me, yes, there were two flowers (buds) to begin with. haha
makes sense now.

I have had so many of these hybrids, but I only had one that made two buds on a single spike, and that one only developed one of the two buds. lol

Keep your close eye on this plant though because mealy bugs might be hiding somewhere not so visible like in between leaves or deep inside the crevice at the very center of the plant.
Good luck!

Edward Spera -- now I'll have to look him up!

OK -- I have seen his work. He is amazing! I didn't recognize his name, but I will now. Thanks.

Dot - Georgia O'Keefe painted at least 2 orchids. An Orchid 1941 is the most often seen, based on some Rl. digbyana hybrid, and Narcissa's Last Orchid 1940 is a white Catt that always reminds me of C. (L.) lobata or crispa. There may be more. I'm surprised you have never been aware of An Orchid, that print is everywhere. Ms. O'Keefe was born in my mother's home town a few miles from here.

I guess I'll have to look anew at her work, but I don't remember orchid paintings. Maybe because when I studied her work, it was long before I got interested in orchids.

Back