Paph charlesworthii 'OL#1'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First bloom seedling NS:6.5cm, DS: 6.3cm
PaphcharlesworthiiOL1.jpg

PaphcharlesworthiiOL1plant.jpg

Geez marie! Can that dorsal get any wider? Now if one could only see that nice white stam!

Geez marie! Can that dorsal get any wider? Now if one could only see that nice white stam!

I agree with Rose, and Rick for the petals.

And have a question as a relatively 'young' paph grower :) !
I see lots of paph photos taken +/- from this point of view (so no chance to have a look at the stam. and pouch inside); I think esp. for roth and other multflorals! Is there a precise reason for this? :eek::eek:

Jean

The flower looks very nice - but is it really fully open ? I don't think so and that's perhaps why we can't see the staminode

Great charlesworthii, Ross..!! I like the full shape... :)

I see lots of paph photos taken +/- from this point of view (so no chance to have a look at the stam. and pouch inside); I think esp. for roth and other multflorals! Is there a precise reason for this?

Jean, maybe its to disguise the fact that the bloom is in fact 'cuppy' (not to say that Ross's plant has a cuppy flower, it might just be not fully open..)..

And have a question as a relatively 'young' paph grower :) !
I see lots of paph photos taken +/- from this point of view (so no chance to have a look at the stam. and pouch inside); I think esp. for roth and other multflorals! Is there a precise reason for this? :eek::eek:

Jean

I think orchid flowers are usually photographed from this aspect in part because of the general bias toward big, flat, round flowers. There is less appreciation for the 3 dimensional sculptural characteristics and patterns that can only be seen from other angles. This view emphasizes the full width of the flower and somewhat hides any 'lack' of flatness.

This is in no way a criticism of this photo or this flower. If we are going to see only one view of a flower I think this is what most of of us would choose.

Very nice Ross, is this one of our crosses? (as you gave it the name OL #1). what were the parents?

Robert

Very nice Ross, is this one of our crosses? (as you gave it the name OL #1). what were the parents?

Robert

Yes, Robert, this is one from Orchids, Ltd., hence the designation 'OL#1'. I added #1 because as is my usual habit, I try to buy more than one of any good looking cross. The parents are 'Charles the Dark' x 'Runyon's'. The dorsal is nice and wide, but as others have noted, the flower has not flattened out as much as I would have liked; quite common for charlesworthii. The background actually seemed to wash out the color some on the dorsal. I'm looking forward to reblooming this one and to seeing the first bloom of the other of this cross.:)

Nice flower, mine is from the same cross. Here is the pic if you want to compare:

Paphcharlesworthii.jpg

Kyle

Beautiful Kyle, one can see the consistency between the two.

Yes, Robert, this is one from Orchids, Ltd...... The parents are 'Charles the Dark' x 'Runyon's'. The dorsal is nice and wide, but as others have noted, the flower has not flattened out as much as I would have liked; quite common for charlesworthii.

I just got that cross from Bloomfield, they say both parents are flat. I guess that will bring up the next question with this terminology. Obviously the dorsal is flat, as charles can also be typical with reflexing (hope that's the right word), than that does not apply to the cuppiness or flat from a side view as well? That was the flatness I was looking for.

This thread was very interesting ! The flower has a very strong type, I am sure there is a big potencial in this paph.

Thanks Ross and Kyle for showing pictures, it is nice to see some of my babies all grown up! Yes we have bloomed a bunch of the same cross, and they all had pretty flat dorsals, which is one of the reasons I made the cross, as both parents had flat dorsals. I was also hoping that some of them would turn out pretty dark in color.

Robert

I would also like to add that mine is a very good grower. Very happy with it. Crossed it onto one of my paph helenea.

One question, the pouch on the my flower comes out at a wierd angle. Is that normal? I'll see if I can find a profile picture.

Kyle

I would also like to add that mine is a very good grower. Very happy with it. Crossed it onto one of my paph helenea.

One question, the pouch on the my flower comes out at a wierd angle. Is that normal? I'll see if I can find a profile picture.

Kyle

Glad you like it. I have not seen any of ours grow out with pouches at a weird angle, maybe it is just your seedling, or maybe it will grow out of it, and be normal next time it blooms.

Robert

Latest posts

Back