Paphiopedilum charlesworthii ‘Pinky and the Brain’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is blooming really late in season (or early, depending on whose view).

Very nice shape (flat dorsal) but color not as intense as the recent awarded ones. Nice showy plant though.

NS 7.5 cm
DS 5.5 x 5 cm
P 2.2 x 4 cm

From a batch of five HungSheng plants (3 survived) in 2019.

FD2E4D02-25D8-4E5A-9BFA-5C089A33BEA0.jpegBD773EE8-6650-4632-BD7B-31AF0BBBEFBF.jpeg261617DD-CACC-454A-B724-D339515267DD.jpeg3DD18BE5-E4F5-4C5B-92E0-56DE137DDC5E.jpeg

Named after the cartoon that entertained younger me with so much hilarious lines 🤣.

psychopaths or sociopaths?
You say potaeto, we say potaaaato...potaeto, Potaaato, tomaeto, tomaaaato....

In the taxonomy of personality disorders they would by most clinicians be considered synonymous... In ICD-10 (WHO's diagnostic manual, former edition, that is still the one in use in Denmark at present) the diagnosis is called 'dissocial personality structure' , in DSM (the American diagnostic system) 'antisocial personality disorder'. As I understand it, in the American diagnosis there is a greater emphasis on violation of the law or on behavior skirting the fringes of the law. Some theoreticians have been operating with a distinction between sociopathy, rooted in environmental causes, and psychopathy, genetically based. As no one has solved the nature vs. nature conundrum satisfactorily, neither in this case, ICD-10 wisely stears clear of etiological considerations.

If anyone is wondering, how this thread with Leslie's nice and peaceful flower ended here:
Fix the right petal or I shall have to hurt you.
Their screams of horrified anguish are candy to me.
View attachment 41535
😁😁😁😁😁

Last edited:
Beautiful example of the species! Thanks for sharing with us. What culture do you give it? I've had one for a couple of years now that is a nice healthy multi growth plant but hasn't bloomed yet. Does it need very bright light or cold temps in the winter to trigger blooming?

You say potaeto, we say potaaaato...potaeto, Potaaato, tomaeto, tomaaaato....

In the taxonomy of personality disorders they would by most clinicians be considered synonymous... In ICD-10 (WHO's diagnostic manual, former edition, that is still the one in use in Denmark at present) the diagnosis is called 'dissocial personality structure' , in DSM (the American diagnostic system) 'antisocial personality disorder'. As I understand it, in the American diagnosis there is a greater emphasis on violation of the law or on behavior skirting the fringes of the law. Some theoreticians have been operating with a distinction between sociopathy, rooted in environmental causes, and psychopathy, genetically based. As no one has solved the nature vs. nature conundrum satisfactorily, neither in this case, ICD-10 wisely stears clear of etiological considerations.

If anyone is wondering, how this thread with Leslie's nice and peaceful flower ended here:

😁😁😁😁😁
I was, in fact, quoting the show after which he named his flower. As for the flies...sometimes violence is both necessary and appropriate.

Beautiful example of the species! Thanks for sharing with us. What culture do you give it? I've had one for a couple of years now that is a nice healthy multi growth plant but hasn't bloomed yet. Does it need very bright light or cold temps in the winter to trigger blooming?
Thanks all for the nice comments!

Hope, growing it to multigrowth is great. Means it’s ready to bloom. Here’s some culture tips:

1. In the fall starting Sept-November, drop the NIGHT temperature to 13-15C by opening the window or balcony door (in my case) for about a month or two. This temperature differential of about 10C or more will likely help trigger bud formation that may start in 1-2 months from then.
2. They like bright light around 1500-1800 fc (slightly less than cattleyas and more than phals). Winter light hours should range around 12-13 hours. This start the long night (or short day) triggers. Make sure no visible red light near plants during this dark period (eg red LEDs within 10 feet).
3. Never let them dry out too long, as they suffer a setback, even during winter (they get dew even in their dry winter habitat every morning). Water like phals but keep moist, not wet. Keep leaves dry all fall/winter.

Hope this helps!

I was, in fact, quoting the show after which he named his flower.
Sorry to have imbued 'Pinky and the Brain' with such a no-brainer of mine! 🙄
.... As for the flies...sometimes violence is both necessary and appropriate.
Which doesn't rule out the pleasurable feelings you so obviously enjoyed by the painful extermination, the poor little buggers suffered! 😁

DrLeslieEe, thank you so much for your detailed response! I grow my orchids outside from about May till October. The temperature usually drops about 20 degrees F (around 12 degrees C) at night here. October till May, when they are indoors, I usually turn down the heater some at night, but only about 8 degrees F. I'll try increasing the difference in temp between day and night in the winter a little, maybe leave it outside a little longer in the autumn, and move it to a little brighter spot and see if that helps. When it decides to flower, I'll be sure to post some pictures of the results. 😊

Latest posts

Back