Paph. Anitum x Randsii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MStruwig

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased one of these and I believe it is a new cross. I don't see photos of it online or any registered name (maybe I'm not sure where to look?!). It has a single fan with 30cm/12in leafspan so it shouldn't take more than a year to bloom. I'm very curious as to how the green in Randsii mixes with the dark Anitum. I absolutely love the colours of some of the Gemstones Randschild's I have seen online. I would love to see future hybrids with the flower count of Randsii and some Roth/Sanderianum/Anitum traits, whatever your fancy!

For now; has anyone seen a Randsii x Anitum bloom?

My limited search tells me the hybrid was registered in 2021. That is very recent. Just because you purchased a seedling does not guarantee pictures can be located. You can only post an image if it has flowered for somebody somewhere who figured that it was worthwhile to post.

You can’t images of a new grex until it has flowered.

You can find things on the RHS web site. Royal Horticultural Society.
www.orchidroots
Join the American Orchid Society at aos.org!
Membership comes with Orchids Plus. This is a program for looking up hybrids, parentages and awards.

My limited search tells me the hybrid was registered in 2021. That is very recent. Just because you purchased a seedling does not guarantee pictures can be located. You can only post an image if it has flowered for somebody somewhere who figured that it was worthwhile to post.
That is very recent. I would imagine the first plants are only at their second blooming. Thank you for those links!

Xavier mentioned that the pics of Paph adductum on the orchidspecies site are actually anitum x randsii, and I am inclined to agree.
www.orchidspecies.com/orphotdir/paphadductum1.jpg
Indeed I see the resemblences! I think the flower count on that will increase in the subsequent bloomings. It lacks the light green I wanted to see though. The petals are also an awkward length where they might lack symmetry. I think it needs a back cross with Randsii, even more flowers!

Your backcross idea back on to P. randsii will only work if randsii is more dominant right? If the green did not appear like you wanted will another dose of randsii improve that? I have no idea since I am not a breeder of Paphs. I can only wonder.
Now I might be crazy, well maybe I am not crazy, "just a carrier", but what about crossing with either philippense or maybe St. Swithin? Or am I even crazier then I think?!

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased one of these and I believe it is a new cross. I don't see photos of it online or any registered name (maybe I'm not sure where to look?!). It has a single fan with 30cm/12in leafspan so it shouldn't take more than a year to bloom. I'm very curious as to how the green in Randsii mixes with the dark Anitum. I absolutely love the colours of some of the Gemstones Randschild's I have seen online. I would love to see future hybrids with the flower count of Randsii and some Roth/Sanderianum/Anitum traits, whatever your fancy!

For now; has anyone seen a Randsii x Anitum bloom?
I hope it's not just one single fan.
Good luck.

Hi Big923

Do you have a name - my search through the RHS App proved fruitless.

Thanks

JL
Check your DMs, I sent a message on Wednesday night.

I can't find the name either. Perhaps searching for the registered name will bring up more photos?

The RHS doesn't have a name listed for adductum or anitum x randsii that I can find. I think I have half a dozen seedlings that are likely another two years from blooming so I can't help with pics.

I opened this hoping to see a photo of something Ive never seen......................bummer.
What are the actual parents?
I suspect it might be a touchy and slow grower judging by the notoriety of the parents.

Latest posts

Back