Pacific Orchid Exposition

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Leo_5313

San Francisco (Feb 21-24, 2013)

Impressive displays! Many of my pictures did not turn out well. I ended up editing ones that I could save with Photoshop.

POE55_zps27127bb8.jpg

Paph. Sonoma
POE51_zps9608f084.jpg

POE46_zps9696da0e.jpg

Phrag. Peruflora's Cirila Alca (Phrag. kovachii x Phrag. dalessandroi)
POE45_zps977cf98f.jpg

Paph. (Macabre x Hsinying Makurow)
POE52_zpsd3388c71.jpg

POE60_zps60089f65.jpg

Paph. Atlantinet
POE70_zpsfb14381f.jpg

POE56_zps1d06e432.jpg

POE43_zps707e17c0.jpg

Paph. Memoria Ken-Ichi Abe (Fanaticum x Norito Hasegawa)
POE32_zps0f85a74e.jpg

Paph. Fumi's Delight
POE31_zps1c0c5585.jpg

Paph. Karl Ploberger (bellatulum x hangianum)
POE30_zps08fe485a.jpg

Paph. Leeanum (spicerianum x insigne)
POE14_zps853e61bc.jpg

POE_26_zps7dc3725b.jpg

POE_21_zps137ec8cb.jpg

Paph. venustum
POE_20_zps9d00d3ed.jpg

Paph. wardii fma alboviride
POE_19_zps069cddb2.jpg

Paph. tonsum
POE_18_zps3f7f97ff.jpg

Paph. Laginot Bangley's
POE_16_zpscbfd0af0.jpg

POE_17_zps67695b60.jpg

POE_14_zps8fcefdcc.jpg

POE_15_zps4bd9748d.jpg

Paph. Saint Swithin
POE_13_zps980c26fa.jpg

From left:
1. Paph. (Kayday x Sheerline)
2. Paph. Hsinying Rubyweb
3. Paph. Sheerline x (Jolly Green Gem x Halo)
POE_12_zpsac61bf4d.jpg

POE_10_zps3aa0efc2.jpg

POE_9_zpsc5342542.jpg

Paph. (Stone Lovely x Ice Castle)
POE_7_zpse1cd0975.jpg

POE_6_zpsdaa6c748.jpg

POE_5_zps70f54475.jpg

POE_3_zps1930f76f.jpg

POE_2_zps442ffaf2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I love that Phrag Peruflora's Cirila Alca and the Paph Fumi's Delight. I got my order from the show last night. What did you get?

Thanks for sharing. I love that Phrag Peruflora's Cirila Alca and the Paph Fumi's Delight. I got my order from the show last night. What did you get?

I got micranthum eburneum and flowering villosum boxalii from Hengduan; a flask of thaianum and a large barbigerum sulivongii from a Thai nursery (Tropical Exotique); a budded PEOY from Golden Gate and Phal Penang Belle from Ooi Leng Sun.

Not enough cash for leucochilum flask, large diathum, parishii, armeniacum, vietnamense, budded Saint Swithin, phrag kovachii (species!) seedlings, and cypripedium; also, Ooi Leng Sun was selling F5 of Phal bellina.

And most disappointing for me was Tropical Exotique sold out of papuanum, mastersianum, and hookerae (budded too).

I am totally into paph species this time. Tropical Exotique was excellent. First time seller in this show and amazing selection of rare species paph! This seller had many thaianum flasks.

Beautiful photos!!

Sounds like you got a lot of very nice orchids. Do you have any contact information for Tropical Exotique? I tried searching for them but couldn't find any info.

Leo nice pictures, I love the tonsum. Great colour. Can you post a picture of sulivongii and measurements on you your convenience? Thanks!

I was there too. It was very nice. Many of my pictures did not turn out very well either. I wonder if it was the lighting in that building?

I bought a Paph. fairrieanum, and a Paph. tranlienianum from Dean at Paphiness. I had also pre-ordered a Phal. equestris 'Orange' from Ten Shin Gardens. I was sorely tempted to buy a niveum, a bellatulum, and a godefroyae from Dean as well, but I was trying to behave.

I thought it was interesting that there were several vendors who had stalls filled with beautiful Phals......all NOIDs. I asked one of them about it and she got a little snotty with me. :poke:

I noticed OL had a few NOIDs (most mini phal types). Taiwan is the larges export of phals, if I remember right, and I think they're coming from Taiwan like this. It's a shame!

It was a very nice show and I came home with a bag of plants. Most of them were seedling catts. as they grow like weeds for me with little care. I was impressed with the variety of sale plants. I could have spent a fortune, but restrained myself!

Apparently, the Taiwanese Tourism Board (show sponsors) spent about $200k in advertising. :confused:
Attendance seemed low.

Really? Attendance was good, IMHO. Maybe the attendance at the Preview Party was low ($35) but I was also there on Sunday AM and Sunday PM for teardown and there were lots of people buying orchids and photgraphing the displays. The Taiwanese display plants in the entrance were sold for cost if not outright given away. It seemed like there was a radio ad hourly for the month before the event, so advertising was plentiful. When I got there Sunday AM there were 60-70 people lined up to get in. Plants I'd seen at the Preview Party I went back on Sun to see if they were still available and they were gone. shrug. YMMV.

But I was amazed to see people standing in line on a Sunday. I'd a thought Saturday was the busy day.

San Francisco (Feb 21-24, 2013)

Impressive displays! Many of my pictures did not turn out well. I ended up editing ones that I could save with Photoshop.

Phrag. Peruflora's Cirila Alca (Phrag. kovachii x Phrag. dalessandroi)
POE45_zps977cf98f.jpg

There was a second one of this grex displayed right next to this one. The second one looked much more like the delessandroi parent.

Latest posts

Back