P. x lushuiense 'Hengduan Beauty', SM/DOK

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely flowered.

Looks like the top half was dominated by spicerianum while the bottom with villosum, including the staminode.

Vegetatively inspired by the wide wavy spicerianum leaves.

The name x lushuiense applies to wild collected stock. If man-made, the name would be Lathamianum.

Really nice!
Whats about, If you propagate wc plants? Then the Term x lushuiense should bei kept!?

Jens, this is one of the nicest Paph. x lushiense/ Paph. Lathamianum I've ever seen. A lot of red pigmentation in these flowers. 👍

Yes the name remains (x lushuiense) if bred within it's boundaries.

Yes Leslie this name stays.......until someone will mix it up. Lol

The name x lushuiense applies to wild collected stock. If man-made, the name would be Lathamianum.
I bought the plant of mrs. Wenqing Perner two years ago in Dresden...it was propagated (selfed) from a plant, that was, indeed, the natural hybrid between the two species, hence the designation P. x lushuiense.
As you might see from her sales lists, mrs. Perner has no qualms by naming her man-made hybrids as such.

Last edited:
Jens, this is one of the nicest Paph. x lushiense/ Paph. Lathamianum I've ever seen. A lot of red pigmentation in these flowers. 👍
Thanks a lot, Rudolf. I think one, without it being a hyperbole, could say it's strutting with anthocyanin, especially if you take a closer look at the midstripe of the dorsal.
I think, I've had some luck with its size, also. A travel companion, another member of my orchid society, bought the only other clone, that was offered for sale by mrs. Perner. When they both flowered at the same time last year, my clone sported a flower 1/3 larger than hers.

I bought the plant of mrs. Wenqing Perner two years ago in Dresden...it was propagated (selfed) from a plant, that was, indeed, the natural hybrid between the two species, hence the designation P. x lushuiense.
As you might see from her sales lists, mrs. Perner has no qualms by naming her man-made hybrids as such.
If selfed from WC, it remains same name.

Hi Jens, glad to see that your x lushuiense is doing so well !!!!
Hi, Jean. I'm also really happy about it! :)

Hope that you both are in fine shape! I was terribly stressed at work in the autumn, so I missed the deadline for Wenqing's European orders. Afterwards I had more than enough time on my hands, as I was ill for 5 weeks with corona. I still easily fatigue, but it goes better and I will try to catch up with Wenqing before the order book is closed this time round!

All the best! Kind regards,
Jens

This might sound like a daft question but when does a natural hybrid become a species in its own right or does it?

This might sound like a daft question but when does a natural hybrid become a species in its own right or does it?
When someone decides it warrants it! Or at least meets the description of the species concept in their opinion.

That might sound flippant but I don't mean it to be! It can be a very subjective process.

When someone decides it warrants it! Or at least meets the description of the species concept in their opinion.

That might sound flippant but I don't mean it to be! It can be a very subjective process.
Thank you Edds

Back