Paphiopedilum White Lady

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Jens that’s wonderful! A nice white paph that’s a good grower is worth its weight in gold!
Thank you, David. It's actually more whitish, seen with the naked eye. The slight purplishness of the petals, that shows itself so clearly in the photos, is, I suppose, a testimony to its complex background.
I'm not normally a fan of complex hybrids...
Neither am I, but I also tend to like this one.

very nice, especially the dorsal...
I like complex hybrid Paphs, especially for the colors and substance... but not all of them(some of them are not so "nice").

She is beautiful!
However, I am not sure if this is really the White Lady. She looks more like Mrs. White (Krull's Gacier; Paphiopedilum Ice Age × Paphiopedilum Icy Icy Wind).
The White Lady is significantly more open, the petals are narrower, the shoe is significantly larger and never spotted, overall it looks more elegant with about the same size.
The White Lady looks more feminine while the Mrs. White is square.
Here are some photos. The White Lady is always on the left and Krulls Glacier (Mrs. White) on the right.

f33t12708p600914n3_VGbFmDxK.jpgf33t12708p600914n2_oDpXLbxO.jpgf33t12708p600914n4_TypAjimh.jpg

Last edited:
She is beautiful!
However, I am not sure if this is really the White Lady. She looks more like Mrs. White (Krull's Gacier; Paphiopedilum Ice Age × Paphiopedilum Icy Icy Wind).
The White Lady is significantly more open, the petals are narrower, the shoe is significantly larger and never spotted, overall it looks more elegant with about the same size.
The White Lady looks more feminine while the Mrs. White is square.
Here are some photos. The White Lady is always on the left and Krulls Glacier (Mrs. White) on the right.

View attachment 37301View attachment 37302View attachment 37300
Thank you for your input, Rau. I'm not at all familiar with the world of complex hybrids, so your info is valued.
The shoe is definately spotted - and the flower doesn't quite adhere to some of the other criterias, you mention for White Lady. Your observations about the flowers being closer to Mrs. White are quite acute, but the wrong labeling of the plant, actually, leaves me in doubt about the correct ID.
With species, when in doubt, I would know where to go to look for information/description - any idea where to go to check out like resources for complex hybrids?

That is a lovely hybrid.

The difference between those two hybrids seem very subtle. Surely that can be explained by clonal variation within the White Lady cross.

Here's my P.white lady starts off like this then ages to a white

Attachments

• PhotoRoom-20221216_104127.png
    PhotoRoom-20221216_104127.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
So my statements are not to be evaluated scientifically. They are based solely on my observations over the last few years. It is striking, however, that both the White Lady and Mrs. White are so similar, both at exhibitions and in the trade, as if they were industrially manufactured. I'm assuming vegetative propagation.
Where there is generative propagation, there are certainly overlaps, since they are half-siblings.

It is striking, however, that both the White Lady and Mrs. White are so similar, both at exhibitions and in the trade, as if they were industrially manufactured.
Convergent evolution. The breeders have been breeding for the same thing: white, round flowers with little pigmentation and spotting. Overlap is to be expected. Hi similarity between individuals of different grexes among Maudiae type hybrids would be no surprise, we just expect complex Paphs to be all over the place with respect to variation within a grex.

Latest posts

Back