Oyster shells?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrfehon

Greetings! I just joined the forum and I've been growing orchids for about 3 years now so still beginning. I have 11 phrags including kovachii, besseae, and some caudatums. I also have around 20 paphs. I've read that kovachii and its hybrids need oyster shells but are there any other phrags/paphs that benefit from the shells? Any help would be great!

-Jason

hi
welcome to the forum!
a quick search for "oyster shell" will give you lots of info

I was told by an experienced grower to add dried egg shells to your mix?
Crazy?...Smelly?... for sure!

I put them in my irrigation water and they dissolve over time. No smell
My wife would store piles of rinsed off egg shells on the kitchen counter to dry.

No smell.

We pound them up and throw them in the garden, but I haven't used them in the GH with orchids (I have too many other pH buffer projects going on to add another variable).

I was told by an experienced grower to add dried egg shells to your mix?
Crazy?...Smelly?... for sure!
Not at all! I let them dry, grind them up in the food processor, sprinkle them on the chids & in the garden!

Welcome to the forum- you came to the right place. I've been growing orchids for almost 3 years (3 yrs next month), and found this forum to be a gold mine of orchid info. Lots of expert growers here that are passionate about the hobby and very helpful to us newer growers. Feel free to ask about anything you need. The archives are also a great source of info. Beware that you will be tempted by the beautiful orchids you see here, and our vendors' sales. We're all addicted and great enablers!:)

Welcome Jason,
Phrag kovachii and Phrag fischeri are the two Phrags that want a mildly alkaline media, oyster shell is one way to get that. I top dress the pot with a 1/2 teaspoon of crushed oyster shell when I repot. Amount does not need to be exact.

I buy crushed oyster shell at my local feed store, or Farm & Fleet, or Rural King, or any place that sells grit for raising poultry. Should be less than $ 10 for a 25 pound bag.

Hope that helps

Once again, these quaint and archaic agricultural references! :p

:poke: Hey Eric, haven't you heard, urban farming is in these days. Its Green. Every city back yard or roof top should have a couple chickens, or even geese, bigger back yards a goat or the now passe pot bellied pig. In the old Italian neighborhoods you might still find the odd pigeon coop. Forgetaboutit. :evil:

I'm going to the pet store later and I will take a foto so you can see what about 5 oz goes for here! :mad:
BTW, did someone let him know that its "crushed" oyster shells!?

You know the first thing they would go for are the Cyps. Then the bonsai.

Trust me, no farm animals in my backyard. :rollhappy:

After they ate all the green then they would eat the oyster shell.
:rollhappy:

Speaking of oyster shell.... since that was what this thread started about.....
I put oyster shell in all my media, just because.

I would love to keep chickens in my yard...actually, I'd love silkie chickens! Unfortunately, I'm quite sure that the raccoons would love them even more.....

Latest posts

Back