Orchid Show in NYC

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that is expensive. That's enough to buy 2 orchids, depending on the vendor. The show we're doing this month in Minnesota only cost $5 dollars a person.

We had a speaker last year that talked about this event. It is being put together as a personal financial venture. She felt that due to the fact the N.Y. orchid show is no longer an option that she might be able to cash in and put on a show that does orchids as well as other plants. Personally, I think that is a pretty high price to be pulling people off the street. I think the cost alone will limit the market.

though a lot of people did travel to the old ny orchid show, when it was at the glass atrium next to the twin towers, there was a lot of spillover traffic and was free. there was some entrance fee at rockefeller center, but still lots of nearby traffic to come on in and check things out

It is very expensive...but I haven't been to an Orchid show since that last GNYOS at Rock Center. I think I'll go just for that....and go broke.

I think I'm taking the train in with my wife to meet up with Aquacorps (Russ) and have lunch with the folks from the Orchid Zone. I hadn't planed on going until Russ asked if I wanted to meet up with Terry and Sam. That changed my mind in a hurry. I've only meet Sam once at the World Orchid Confrence and have never meet Terry. I haven't heard from Russ for a few days, so have to firm this up for the proposed Saturday meet.

It is very expensive...but I haven't been to an Orchid show since that last GNYOS at Rock Center. I think I'll go just for that....and go broke.

I will be attending on Thursday night, opening night. I agree with Eric, expensive but if for no other reason than there hasn't been a show in NYC since the last GNYOS. Its been a long time.

From what I am hearing this is being put on by a former concert promoter not an orchid society. Also heard Sting (from The Police) will be one of the judges. If thats true take that for whatever you think it will be worth in terms of orchid credibility in the judging.

On a side note I was contacted by several orchid vendors around the world who couldn't get into this show so maybe in the next few years this will get bigger and better and we will have show in NY again...

I wonder if I could get my ny native orchid educational display into the show? (and myself for free, as a consequence...) it fits into a small area very easily and gets quite a bit of attention once people see it. I had a lot of positive feedback the one year I was able to take it to the gnyos show

(I drove down after work on thursday evening, unloaded it in the basement of rockefeller center, hauled it up, set it up in a spot to be determined after I showed up, looked around other things a bit, and then drove back home to upstate ny thursday evening (and then drove back down on the weekend to pick it back up). didn't even try to figure out how much I spent on gas and tolls... though it was fun and I got some nice orchid posters and cards from the show committee in thanks for attending (plus since I had the only educational display, it basically was a guarantee to receive a first-place ribbon and plaque)

I'm going on Friday, after work...should be there around 4:30-5, with my son. Plan to spend some time talking with Sam and Terry....I've known Sam for many years, via email, but never met her in person. Too bad I can't afford anything from OZ...Sam told me they are only bringing "select" plants.

Eric, I'm not 100 percent sure that you have the facts correct. I was told by Russ that they were bringing unbloomed seedlings. So, who is correct? Truthfully, if they are only bring select plants that I can't afford, I see no reason on going. I like most of us have limited funds for this hobby. Especially, in the winter when I'm spending as much to heat the greenhouse as to heat my house. I really hope we can get to the bottom of this, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back