Recommendations for orchid shows to attend in US?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see what the shows are all about, meet orchid people and attend lectures etc. Anybody have any recommendations on which shows I should look into attending? I'd like to plan and budget for a show or two.

How far do you want to travel to attend a show?
Not all shows have lectures. A few have some short basic orchid discussions/demonstrations. I judge at 7 shows here from Ohio to Grand Rapids, not one of the seven have lectures. They are all wonderful little shows but I doubt that any would be worth a trip from the west coast.
When I lived in Florida, two annual events were hugely popular and attended by people from all over the country. Google the Tamiami Orchidfest and the Redlands Show! Tamiami is in January and Redlands in May. You should find information on line.
Those were two of the biggest shows by the sheer number of vendors.

Great River in Grand Rapids, Cleveland Show, Greater Lansing Show, Akron, Ann Arbor, Michigan and Strongsville, Ohio. There is a decent sized event in Dayton Ohio in a couple of weeks!

Do you belong to any locale orchid clubs in your area? Those would be wonderful resources.

NCOS paph forum ( in the dc area) and the paph guild (la area).

And there is a paph symposium in Ecuador at equagenera in June 2024….

I have attended all three either virtually or in-person and recommend them all. I am assuming the Paph Guild will be the best option for your coast. If you Google them, you will find the details and can make some fun plans.

Tamiami and SB Orchid Show are high on my list. However, I only collect paphs so I would probably only attend paph related lectures. Are there more paph-centric shows out there?
First weekend in November is the paph/vanda forum at Krull-Smith near Orlando. January there are two paph conferences, the one in D.C. and the one on the west coast(Huntington Gardens(?). Any of the shows in the NE will have a lot of paphs.

I want to see what the shows are all about, meet orchid people and attend lectures etc. Anybody have any recommendations on which shows I should look into attending? I'd like to plan and budget for a show or two.
The Slipper Symposium at Krull-Smith has become the best one for interacting with speakers and attendees. Speakers, vendors and a dinner with an auction with plenty of chances to socialize with other growers.
The Paph Forum in D.C. is also good but it's just one day. Great group though.

Dave

do they still have a "breeders" symposium run by the sandiego group?
i attended on some years ago,,, now it was not just slippers but the speakers were some of the best in the business at that time.. it had a name but can't remember that.... terry root, frank smith, and a few others..
again, not sure if it is still being run.... maybe some of the west coast peeps can chime in on this one...
There were sales, and anyone speaking had plants for sale..

Latest posts

Back