Orchid inn flasks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The p. Concolor X Thaianum seem great. I probably got about 20 plants in ten pots. I didn't have quite as much luck with the other two I tried but I'm not so into community pots.

i think some of it depends on your broad culture..greenhouse v lights,and humidity levels etc..when posting deflasking methods people should also post their conditions

Sam said it's best to remove as much agar as possible then pot up as a community for a year or so

I leave the agar on and just pot up the whole puck. The agar dissolves over time and this method prevents damage to the tender roots and leaves.

I've done the same, the seedlings( roth x randsii) are strong and fast growing

I believe a flask should be ready to deflask at purchase. A pretty warped view I know.

I agree. I dont think you should have to 'grow them up' pre-deflask.

I really can't agree, on simple economics. A seller will have only a narrow window of time to sell flasks if they are only at the perfect moment. It is a better business model to sell some flasks early, though of course they should make the buyer aware of that. Too young is much better than too old, and some sellers may not have the time or facilities to deflask many seedlings themselves and grow them on. Holding costs (time on the shelf), labor costs and waste (flasks past their prime) are all lower if some are sold early, and could even mean they could be sold at somewhat lower prices. It also allows a seller to have a wider variety available at any one time, so more choices for the buyer, especially at shows.

Do you expect a fruit seller to only offer each banana on that perfect day of ripeness?

this is a tough one, while I understand where you guys are coming from, how often do we in Australia get the opportunity to obtain flasks, its not like you can buy them at any given show here, so you gotta take them when you can get them.

I'd prefer to buy Sams flasks that may be a little smaller than buy the cheap stuff from Taiwan or Thailand bred from inferior or questionable breeding. Some of the Taiwanese flask producers have been exposed for selling stuff made with inferior parentage but passing it off as different parents. Roth 'Dou Fang' X 'Green Valley' comes to mind.

At the end of the day I trust Sam's stuff to be true to label and a fair price for the quality offered.

Back