Orchiata/Canada

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking US...our OS just brought in a pallet as a group order from acadian. roberts flower supply sells individual bags if you don't need a whole pallet.

What is orchiata?

You can look up on them, but basically it is a bark from New Zealand Pinus radiata, which has been chemically treated.
They look darker and sturdier than say, fir bark, and they tend to last much longer than regular bark chips.

Orchiata was banned in Canada because government bureaucrats were afraid that importation would negatively affect the Canadian timber industry. Sounds like someone talked some facts into them.

Happy - that "chemical treatment" is the addition of dolomite, which has nutritional value.

Phraggy - it may seem expensive at first look, but it's life span in the pot far exceeds any other bark, likely making its application cost lower.

And I carry it too.

Mike (Stone) - I have never heard the recommendation to use more ammonium than nitrate nitrogen. Is that a fact? If so, why?

Orchiata was banned in Canada because government bureaucrats were afraid that importation would negatively affect the Canadian timber industry. Sounds like someone talked some facts into them.

Happy - that "chemical treatment" is the addition of dolomite, which has nutritional value.

Phraggy - it may seem expensive at first look, but it's life span in the pot far exceeds any other bark, likely making its application cost lower.

And I carry it too.

Mike (Stone) - I have never heard the recommendation to use more ammonium than nitrate nitrogen. Is that a fact? If so, why?

Hi Ray. We are paying $1 per litre!!

Ed

It's not because of a sales($) impact but rather a forest management impact.
The bark is restricted to control the introduction of insects or disease that could escape into North Americas conifer forests.
Both US and Canada have strict requirements that prevent importing lumber even with small amounts of bark attached.

Latest posts

Back