Orchiata/Canada

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great....I want to try it! Can you give us more information that that? When, where, who and how much? Thanks.

Western Marine will be the distributor in Canada. Last time I checked, they haven't got any shipments that came in yet.

Orchiata

Apparently the only issue with importing Orchiata into Canada was the size of the bags which took several attempts to meet the exacting Canadian
requirement ( go figure :confused: )
The container will leave the last week in January and is expected to take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive at Western Marine. They expect to be able to fill orders and ship the day after the container arrives.

It's not because of a sales($) impact but rather a forest management impact.
The bark is restricted to control the introduction of insects or disease that could escape into North Americas conifer forests.
Both US and Canada have strict requirements that prevent importing lumber even with small amounts of bark attached.

That's what I'd always understood to be the problem.....that the fire-burning hoops the CFIA wanted the importers to jump through in order to prove it was safe and guaranteed to be 100% free of insects and pathogens, was too costly to be profitable in such a small market as Canada.

Apparently the only issue with importing Orchiata into Canada was the size of the bags which took several attempts to meet the exacting Canadian requirement ( go figure :confused: )

Yeah, well.....we're not immune from having a government agency that works in mysterious ways! :mad: 'Glad it's finally coming in. I've heard a lot of good things and I'm keen to try it.

Orchiata is a hard bark, so you will be tempted to soak it. DON'T!!! (Unless you want to wash away a lot of the nutrient-rich dolomite.)

I have found the following to be a good way to "open it up" to make it immediately more absorbent:

> Put the volume you need in a fast-draining container
> Dribble hot water over the bark, periodically stirring to mix it up. If you see significant drainage from the container, you're applying it to fast or with too much volume.
> Wait 15-30 minutes.
> Repeat.

When it's cool, it's ready to use.

Another tip, my opinion only: it really isn't necessary to mix it with other ingredients. Because it is graded so well, and because they offer such a wide range of grades (5, versus 3 from most other producers), that it's pretty easy to find the one that fits best for the plant and your culture.

UPDATE :
For those who didn't get the news, great news, Orchiata is now available on the west coast of Canada, Vancouver more precisely ! I just got 2 40 liter bags ($43 each, which is on part with US prices after currency exchange) from the reseller conveniently located 10 minutes away from my home.. it saves a lot in shipping cost!

I repotted all my paphs into it this spring and I am happy with it so far! Looks like it should continue to be readily available for us Canadian's from now on :)

Perhaps Orchiata isn't just right for every plant or set of
conditions, but I use power#5 for all my Paphs. and
Phrags. and some Phals. and I wouldn't use any other
potting material ever again.

Latest posts

Back