old pot/new pot

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics! You can even see the sparkles. My camera can't see white flowers so I can never get a good pic of mine.

Flowers seem to last about a week or two. usually the next flower will be open for a few days before the older one falls off.

Did you find the parentage yet?

thanks. I needed to set the f-stop to something like 28 or 32 to get everything in focus. also had to under expose everything to make sure the white didn't blast out the picture

I sent Joe and Norma an email to see if they know the parentage of my Ecua-Bess and the mexipedium

This is about the best I can do with my point and shoot.

I can change "ISO" settings. Will that change exposure time?

does your camera have a flash? if so, can you turn it off or put tissue paper over it? other thing would be to try and eliminate any bright lights where you are taking a picture or borrow a circular polarizer or a neutral density light filter (makes picture darker but doesn't change color values) from someone and hold it over your lens when you take the picture

does your camera have a flash? if so, can you turn it off or put tissue paper over it? other thing would be to try and eliminate any bright lights where you are taking a picture or borrow a circular polarizer or a neutral density light filter (makes picture darker but doesn't change color values) from someone and hold it over your lens when you take the picture

In normal GH lighting I still usually force a flash since the close ups (macro setting) always come out blurry with this camera without very bright light. Otherwise I take it out in sunshine. For some reason the auto focus on this camera has problems with white. The best results for white is to do what Peter does, and use the sky as a backdrop. Then for some reason the camera is forced to focus on the white (or very small) flowers.

I might try taming down the flash with some tissue paper.

In normal GH lighting I still usually force a flash since the close ups (macro setting) always come out blurry with this camera without very bright light. Otherwise I take it out in sunshine. For some reason the auto focus on this camera has problems with white. The best results for white is to do what Peter does, and use the sky as a backdrop. Then for some reason the camera is forced to focus on the white (or very small) flowers.
Actually, what is happening is that the camera is focusing on the darker areas around the flowers, which the meter thinks is a middle gray instead of a darker value. Since the flowers are so much lighter than the surrounding area, they are overexposed. To help with this, without using a flash, you might try focusing on your hand (at the plane of focus for the flowers) but then removing your hand before you snap the picture.

The reason your camera works against the sky is because the sky is lighter than the plant -- again, the meter sees the sky value as a middle gray (darker than the sky value), so the flowers, being lighter, are more correctly exposed.

Regarding the blurryness, that is because of camera shake. It's almost impossible to hand-hold a camera taking close-ups without having some camera movement -- unless you use a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, maybe you can brace the camera against something solid, or set it on a chair or stool.

Actually, what is happening is that the camera is focusing on the darker areas around the flowers, which the meter thinks is a middle gray instead of a darker value. Since the flowers are so much lighter than the surrounding area, they are overexposed. To help with this, without using a flash, you might try focusing on your hand (at the plane of focus for the flowers) but then removing your hand before you snap the picture.

The reason your camera works against the sky is because the sky is lighter than the plant -- again, the meter sees the sky value as a middle gray (darker than the sky value), so the flowers, being lighter, are more correctly exposed.

Regarding the blurryness, that is because of camera shake. It's almost impossible to hand-hold a camera taking close-ups without having some camera movement -- unless you use a tripod. If you don't have a tripod, maybe you can brace the camera against something solid, or set it on a chair or stool.

For a small fee I can send you my book on photo techniques! :D

In college, 70's :eek:, I used to be a good photographer w/ old Nikon!
Ahh, so it is the camera, we keep tellin' you to get a new one!
My problem is I go in splurts & don't remember til the next time!:eek:

We've heard that before! A new nikon might be a better investment :poke: it's harder to kill, just don't drop it!

Latest posts

Back