OCSA show yesterday..

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Just want to share some pics from teh society show yesterday.. :)

The Best Plant of Show, a cattleya which I forgot its name (derived from C. Bow Bells).. The shape is simply droolicious.. The plant has rather short bulbs..
Bestplantofshow.jpg

Catt. Louise Georginna - I thought this one is superb, despite lacking a full shape (must be from a catt maxima parent somewhere).. Its a pity this specimen is messy though. If divided and staked up beautifully, it would have been gorgeous.. it had 4 spikes..
CattLouiseGeorginna.jpg

A pendent type cym, Cym Daddy's Girl..
CymDaddysGirl.jpg

This blew my mind.. A huge plant of Dendrobium delicatum 'Apple Blossum'.. It is unscented at night though..
DenddelicatumAppleBlossum.jpg

I was surprised to find this Malaysian native here.. Dend farmeri.. :p
Dendfarmeri.jpg

An old man made hybrid, Dend Specio-kingianum..
DendSpecio-kingianum.jpg

Paph (labelled as boxallii)..
Paphboxallii.jpg

Paph Jan Giles - I think the same plant has been exhibited for quite a few months.. Truly amazing how long paph flowers can last for..
PaphJanGiles.jpg

Other paphs (Double Deception, Gold Dollar, Schaetzen and an unidentified hybrid)
Paphs-1.jpg

Anyway, I must apologize for the huge (blurry) pics in recent posts.. :eek: I just discovered that the resize button on photobucket doesn't cooperate with me.. So I had to resize each pic individually before uploading..

More pics..

Another pendent cym:
Pendentcym.jpg

Sarcochilus:
Sarcochilus.jpg

Sarc George Colthup:
SarcochilusGeorgeColthup.jpg

Serapias neglecta - This looks like a pea flower rather than an orchid.. The upper 3 petals are fused together, forming a hood..
Serapiasneglecta.jpg

A group of standard catts:
Standardcatts.jpg

Aussie native terrestrials - There's Glossodia major, Pterostylis, some Thelymitra, and a Caladenia..
Terrestrials.jpg

And a complex paph with obvious influence from paph druryi..
Yellowcomplex.jpg

:)

:clap::clap:Those sarcs are unbelievable! I like the pendant cyms as well! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the great tour and wonderful photos. I haven't ever been to a show where the plants are simply displayed on a table where you can get up close enough to really take a good close look at the flowers and to take such meaningful photos.

A little squinting at the big green label yields the identity of the paph you point out exhibiting obvious Paph. druryi influence. It appears to be Paph. Bernie's Delight (Paph. Oro Hanes x Paph. Eager Beaver).

Thanks for the pics! Love those Aussie terrestrials!:clap:

Den. speciosum x kingianum = Den. x delicatum, so there were actually two of those in that show.

wow lots of awesome plants, that made my morning, was that a tuberous sundew (maybe Drosera peltata) in with the Thelymitra?

Forrest

Who let that in here!? Somebody call Security! :poke:
I was surprised to find this Malaysian native here.. Dend farmeri.. :p
Dendfarmeri.jpg

Shoot! Yours are fine; I need somebody to teach me how to operate my new camera! :mad:
Anyway, I must apologize for the huge (blurry) pics in recent posts.. :eek: I just discovered that the resize button on photobucket doesn't cooperate with me.. So I had to resize each pic individually before uploading..

BTW, sneak those native Aussie plants here and you'd be set up for a while$$$!

Stunning plants and flowers!!! Thanks for sharing! I loved them all, but I am really amazed by the Caladenia!!!!!!! I wish I could find it on the market :(:(:(!!!

You're all welcome, people... :) Scott, as far as I understand, Dend x delicatum is the natural hybrid between speciosum and delicatum whereas Specio-kingianum is the man-made version.. KInd of like Paph angthong and Greyi..

fbrem, yes, that is a sundew growing with Glossodia major... I'm not sure if its tuberous.. I want it too.. :p

Scott, as far as I understand, Dend x delicatum is the natural hybrid between speciosum and delicatum whereas Specio-kingianum is the man-made version.. KInd of like Paph angthong and Greyi..

Another one of those crosses with two names?! There should be a law against that! :viking:

fbrem, yes, that is a sundew growing with Glossodia major... I'm not sure if its tuberous.. I want it too.. :p

I didn't notice that at first - thanks for pointing it out! Looks like a D. peltata or relative, so yes, it is tuberous. But, which one is Glossoidia major? I see the Drosera in with the Thelymitra pot.

Thanks. I'll have to look up some pics of Aussie terrestrials. The tag that looks like it's from that pot looks like it says Caladenia. Have there been some name changes?

Paphioboy. They are all fantastic but the huge Sarcochilus really caught my eye. I have a few small pots of them. Will I live long enough to see my plants look like that? How old do you think those big ones are? How long will I need to kick around to see mine look like that?

Marilyn

Latest posts

Back