huge rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronan

Reaction score
this is not my plant , pic is crappy and from a display of l'Amazone, a belgium nursery which is well known for Paph. BTW this is something i'd like to show you!

THIS ONE is a bit more than 36cm wide!!!!!!!! i must say i don't like the shape and color so much, but 36cm is something that is difficult to forget! the difference with what i saw previously is amazing, i mean really!!!

size is important! :wink:

987605vaucelles002.jpg

That's rothschildianum 'Raymond'... The plant appeared collected in the 90's in Belgium at a commercial phalaenopsis nursery. The flowers are indeed 36+cm. It has been collected along with 4 other plants, those 4 remaining plants never attained that flower size. Then it disappeared, Jacky Orchids was supposed to have it, but they indeed did not. I saw photos of it about 15 years ago. Now it apparently reappeared...

The largest rothschildianum so far can be over 40 cm, some depend on culture, then they must be huge clump with few flower spikes ( the other ones are chopped off). Some are genetically huge, and giant on a single growth already.

The biggest rothschildianum flower mentioned to me by a collector was 45 cm. and that man never lied to me. Tenom had a 42 cm that died a decade ago too.

We can find a few reports in the Orchid Review of 45cm from a massive clump whose owner was Baron de Rothschild ( the french brother...).

The biggest ones I have got and seen are 40 cm. Raymond is another candidate for the 40cm race when grown into a clump, but so far I did not know if it was alive anywhere... It was from the very last batch collected by Azadehdel before he got into trouble in England. According to his owner ( whose first name was Raymond), he got the 5 plants, same size, then one started to grow like hell, big leaves, big flowers. He made a clump out of it, then died of and AIDS related condition. Afterwards, all of his plants went to... well no one knows at all. This photo most likely is the first plant I see reappearing of it...

There is one 40 cm, from Mt Millais x Val ( NOT Val x Mt Millais...) called ' Tarentula' at the Tokyo Orchids Nursery. And I have seen Mt Millais at 36cm. I think it is a culture matter too. Note on the photo that the plant is very dark green, not yellowish like the American or Japanese grow their plants. In Europe we use a lot of urea and ammonium based fertilizer.

Franz Glanz as well has many multiflorals, and use only a Peters, that is only urea-nitrogen based. Same dark green leaves, and big flowers... Peter Schmidt/L'Amazone is one old school grower, and I am sure he uses the same style of fertilizer, urea/ammonium, and little to no nitrate.

The biggest rothschildianum flower mentioned to me by a collector was 45 cm. and that man never lied to me. Tenom had a 42 cm that died a decade ago too.

We can find a few reports in the Orchid Review of 45cm from a massive clump whose owner was Baron de Rothschild ( the french brother...).

The biggest ones I have got and seen are 40 cm. Raymond is another candidate for the 40cm race when grown into a clump, but so far I did not know if it was alive anywhere... It was from the very last batch collected by Azadehdel before he got into trouble in England. According to his owner ( whose first name was Raymond), he got the 5 plants, same size, then one started to grow like hell, big leaves, big flowers. He made a clump out of it, then died of and AIDS related condition. Afterwards, all of his plants went to... well no one knows at all. This photo most likely is the first plant I see reappearing of it...

There is one 40 cm, from Mt Millais x Val ( NOT Val x Mt Millais...) called ' Tarentula' at the Tokyo Orchids Nursery. And I have seen Mt Millais at 36cm. I think it is a culture matter too. Note on the photo that the plant is very dark green, not yellowish like the American or Japanese grow their plants. In Europe we use a lot of urea and ammonium based fertilizer.

Franz Glanz as well has many multiflorals, and use only a Peters, that is only urea-nitrogen based. Same dark green leaves, and big flowers... Peter Schmidt/L'Amazone is one old school grower, and I am sure he uses the same style of fertilizer, urea/ammonium, and little to no nitrate.
It is always a pleasure to read your post, very informative and wonderful stories too.

It is always a pleasure to read your post Roth, very informative and wonderful stories too.

At which event did you take that picture?

Would love to once see such a roth in person. Only roth bloom I ever saw in person in a nursery had only one flower open. A few at events but I was never able to get so close as I would like to.

At which event did you take that picture?

Would love to once see such a roth in person. Only roth bloom I ever saw in person in a nursery had only one flower open. A few at events but I was never able to get so close as I would like to.

vaucelles, in france. nice show because it takes place in an abbaye. fits perfectly with orchids. old exhibition, 22 years!

I have another photo, but not really better... quite impressive yes and not the same type as those with usually see.

P1110183.JPG

vaucelles, in france. nice show because it takes place in an abbaye. fits perfectly with orchids. old exhibition, 22 years!

Thanks for the answer, next friday I'll be at Orchilim. It's an old venue as well so looking forward to it.

You will be there for NT Orchids right? I'll try to drop by and say hi :)

That's rothschildianum 'Raymond'... The plant appeared collected in the 90's in Belgium at a commercial phalaenopsis nursery. The flowers are indeed 36+cm. It has been collected along with 4 other plants, those 4 remaining plants never attained that flower size. Then it disappeared, Jacky Orchids was supposed to have it, but they indeed did not. I saw photos of it about 15 years ago. Now it apparently reappeared...

The largest rothschildianum so far can be over 40 cm, some depend on culture, then they must be huge clump with few flower spikes ( the other ones are chopped off). Some are genetically huge, and giant on a single growth already.

Love to read your posts, Roth! You're a great source of information.

Back