Not just any greenhouse!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About now I am seriously tempted to immigrate. I received a call from my staff at the farm on Friday morning to let me know that the farmhouse had been broken into. Not too much to steal, just those few things that make life civilized when I am working at the farm, ... tv, espresso machine, music, and of course some good wine, scotch and JD. I have spent the last day and a half dealing with police, trying to secure the farm house and installing a basic alarm system. It is at times like this that I realize how exposed I am, my nearest neighbor being 7km away as the crow flies, no telephone, and intermittent cellular connection. All on my own, with old Mr Colt to keep me company. I did not have much sleep last night, and have spent a fair amount of time thinking about throwing the towel in and going back to the Netherlands, then, .... A few minutes ago a brown hyena ambled along just at the edge of the fire light, and then I remember why I am here!

Tell me some place where there isn't break-ins? I'll move there. We installed a security system waaay back here in the woods last year when
we found my husband's shop tampered with, my greenhouse louvers
broken and some things stolen out of our garage.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, but your land and your care
for the area is worth the aggravation. Do you have dogs at the farm with
you? Just might be worth buying a couple of Mastiffs to guard the house.

No Dot, I 'live' in Johannesburg, but I spend about 4 days per fortnight on the farm.
Angela, I have considered dogs, but big dogs and wild animals don't go so well together, and small dogs and leopard don't go so well together for the reverse reason. The house is unfenced as I enjoy the animals in the garden. Having said that, animals and garden don't go so well together either. It is not unusual to fing upwards of 30 impala eating the flower beds, but having a herd of giraffe feeding in the garden balances the loss of garden.
Sorry Angela, I have kind of hijacked your greenhouse thread with my woes. It was all that talk of Kentucky.
Jean, yes, I suspect you are right.

Of course you didn't hijack the thread. I'm interested and concerned about
your property when you are away. I'm also quite concerned about poaching. I hope your impala, giraffe and leopards are reasonably safe from
poachers. The big dog idea isn't such a good one after all.

I'll take animals over garden any day...and do!

CNN said President Mandela went home from the hospital today! He's a tough 'un. I'm
very glad to hear it.

I am afraid that the end is near for Madiba, and it worries me what will happen when he is gone.
This morning as I am sitting on the patio with a mediocre cup of coffee ( gosh I miss my espresso machine!), there are two giraffe bulls feeding in the garden. Bliss!
Perhaps I should build a greenhouse up here at the farm, then perhaps I will never go back to the city!

Oh my, that's quite a commute. Your youngun's are still in school, aren't
they? I suppose a permanent move to the farm would be almost impossible
for your boys. Them chillun' need book learnin'. Perhaps when you send
them off to college.........

The bull Gs are almost improbable creatures, but ever so beautiful.

Tell me some place where there isn't break-ins? I'll move there. We installed a security system waaay back here in the woods last year when

Maybe Canada? A lot of Canadians don't lock their house, do they? So I'm guessing thieves don't break-in, they just walk in. ;)

But, sorry for your inconvenience, Gary.

Latest posts

Back