Not all are good.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Usually we see the nicer Paphs from growers collections in the forum...well.... here is a seedling just opened that falls way short of being a favourite OR good.
Mind your, I have flowered 4 or 5 other seedlings plants of the same cross & all are excellent.
DSCN0911.jpg

If you did not live so far away I'd send you postage for it. It has a misshaped pouch but other than that it looks good to me.

I can see the objection...the dorsal is pretty small for a spotted toad...the pouch is something that could easily improve with the next bloom, but I think a small dorsal stays a small dorsal. Its not ugly...for most of us with small to medium collections it would be OK, although not a point of pride...but if you have to deal with a lot of plants, I would understand why its a cull. Take care, Eric

Yes we have but being so polite, non of us have really expressed that to the forum member.

I personally would like objective opinions. There have been times where I've posted "dogs" not looking for praise, but to show what happens with a certain cross. Not all crosses produce consistently good flowers. As Roy has said, if we only see the very best of each cross, we'll have no idea that a cross also produces less satisfactory flowers. Sometimes a cross may produce no decent flowers.

I personally would like objective opinions. There have been times where I've posted "dogs" not looking for praise, but to show what happens with a certain cross. Not all crosses produce consistently good flowers. As Roy has said, if we only see the very best of each cross, we'll have no idea that a cross also produces less satisfactory flowers. Sometimes a cross may produce no decent flowers.

My idea exactly Paphreek, its just members seem to like the flowers shown for whatever reason and any critique to the negative draws complaints, not from the owner but the other members. I might be harsh in an opinion but I look at a flower thru a judges eyes and hybridiser. There are a lot of Paphs that I like that I wouldn't exhibit hoping for a prize as they are just pretty but when it comes to and exhibition orchid I am very choosey.
Eric pointed out a number of features wrong with the above Paph so a judging come breeding clone, this is the type of Paph I keep, and the reason the above is a dog.
BTW, this is an average good one in my collection.

PassionCarol.jpg

That Dawg sets Paph breeding back 50 years, to the compost heap with it!
Where's that bottle of Round-Up?

How's that for a slightly more critical analysis?

Why is it out of every flask I buy. All the ones I keep look like that, and all the ones I sell look like the "good Average" example?
Cheers
Leo

That Dawg sets Paph breeding back 50 years, to the compost heap with it!
Where's that bottle of Round-Up?
How's that for a slightly more critical analysis?

Thats right on the Money Leo, well, sort of. There are aways the potplant type ( as my post pic ) and then there is the quality show plant ( 2nd pic ). To me, oooing & aahhhhing over how great the potplant type is fine for the potplant purpose only. They way some of the conversations go, it makes out like the plant is the next FCC. This I think gives a false impression of its quality to the owner. I really think there is a need to distinguish between both.

Why is it out of every flask I buy. All the ones I keep look like that, and all the ones I sell look like the "good Average" example?

You think your Robinson Crusoe with this ??????
It happens all the time. As I noted in this or another forum, there are ways to pick out the better flowered clones from the leaves of seedlings before flowering in the Reds & Spotteds & this works well for me 75% of the time. Greens & other colors are a different matter.

Can I just add to this potplant / show orchid discussion that there are major difference in Judging between the AOS & the AOC ( Australia ) of which I am a Judge. My thoughts and comments are in line with what I would be looking at as a showbench type flower, particularly in the complex hybrid paph. When it comes to Brachys, straight Parvis, Multiflorals & Maudiae type, there are enough bench mark awards for comparison. When we get into combinations of Parvi', Brachys, Multiflorals all in together, one has to stand back and take a deep breathe and assess what is in front of you. Unfortunately, many of these hybrids, because they are new, colorful, flavour of the month attract growers & judges eye and really don't get the proper assessment. I see quoted in posts in most forums, "Great Color" which could be true & "Good, Great, Excellent shape", to me, there is no shape in the flower at all. It looks like what is should basically for the cross but the flower in many cases isn't as good as the parents. The flower segments are all over the place like a ducks breakfast. One thing that sticks out to me is "balance", the flowers haven't got any balance, they are top or bottom heavy. Some are just too big for their own good.
Just my thoughts.

( Now I'm in trouble )

You think your Robinson Crusoe with this ??????
It happens all the time. As I noted in this or another forum, there are ways to pick out the better flowered clones from the leaves of seedlings before flowering in the Reds & Spotteds & this works well for me 75% of the time. Greens & other colors are a different matter.

So are you going to share this with us?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting flower Roy, I guess they can't all be perfect for show quality but you have to love it anyway..........;-)

Latest posts

Back