New Complex Seedlings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two first bloom seedlings from Hillsview Gardens HV-861 Paph. Don Egger.
A cross of (Spotglen 'Doodlebug' HCC/AOS x Duncan York 'Southard' AM/AOS)

Paph. Don Egger 'Tommy'

Paph_DonEgger_Tommy_2p.jpg

Paph. Don Egger 'Webmaster'

Paph_DonEgger_Webmaster_p.jpg

Paph. Don Egger 'Tommy' is fantastic!!! Look at those spot pattern!!!!! Well, the other one is good, too...!!!:D

:clap: well - I'm a lover of reds!
But I also like bold spots. This is not bold but the spotting pattern is NICE!

Well, I look at it from the prospective of reproduction. If it's able to reproduce then isn't it more grown than a seedling/ maybe they should be called adolescent? :confused:

Both are very nice representations of this cross. Has the quality been pretty even or is there a large variation in shape, size and color?

Thanks for being one of the few American hybridizers of complex paphs!

Eric, I think term "seedling" is widely accepted to indicate its origin, i.e. that the plant was produced from seed rather than, for example, being a division or clone of an existing cultivar.

This might not be as significant with slippers due to the lack of commercial cloning activity but in other genera it is a very important and helpful designator.

Both are very nice representations of this cross. Has the quality been pretty even or is there a large variation in shape, size and color?

Thanks for being one of the few American hybridizers of complex paphs!

HV-861 Paph. Don Egger.(Spotglen 'Doodlebug' HCC/AOS x Duncan York 'Southard' AM/AOS), has been very consistent as far as quality. They have been variable for spotting and red color. About 20% have been dark reds with the majority being spotted reds. We have flowered a good number with some 1,000 seedlings on the bench to start. We only have about 100 seedlings at this time. Many that flowered were delivered to the local flower market. I did however keep a number for show and breeding.
Theresa.

OK, thanx. :) Silly me, I thought it had something to do with size! :evil:
Eric, I think term "seedling" is widely accepted to indicate its origin, i.e. that the plant was produced from seed rather than, for example, being a division or clone of an existing cultivar.

This might not be as significant with slippers due to the lack of commercial cloning activity but in other genera it is a very important and helpful designator.

Latest posts

Back