Never again, ORCHID INN!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad... I got a bellatulum with twist tie roots. It looks like it had just recovered its roots, luckily. I think my Paph. delenatii v. dunkel will die soon though. See here: Rot??? I'm 100% sure that I didn't do anything to start or help the rot. I noticed one leaf like that when I got it but thought nothing of it. I preordered a P. delenatii dunkel and alba and P. bellatulum. I bought a P. urbanianum seedling and P. Wossner Kolosuk album seedling from the table. Everything was good except for the dunkel delenatii. I'll see how good he is at replacing stuff... I definitely agree that the display table stuff is definitely better than the preorder stuff. I want to get a maliopense from him at the next show (not preorder) and should I take the risk of preordering a sanderianum flask from him?

his flasks are great as long as he ships them with cotton in them..but if you are picking them up then you dont have to worry about that as you can inspect them real easy

I still don't understand the twist wire roots? Does he actually tie on wires to be artificial roots buried in the media?

:confused:

with my first brachy package i mistakenly repotted all of them and found a couple with twisty ties and little root..pretty sure they act as an anchor..they all lived but took an extra time recovering...with my second and third package i know there were twisty ties on some of them but i didnt repot them and they all look great and some have bloomed

I have bought from Sam repeatedly - many flasks and many plants. Only once did a plant turn out to have poor roots. I felt I should have inspected it sooner - I had waited until after bloom since it was in spike. By then it needed lengthy recovery. In the future I will simply request that there be a root inspection prior to shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That P. delenatii v. dunkel is totally rotted now. I contacted Sam and he said he'd send one right away once he gets back from Japan. Not sure, but it sounded like he'd pick it himself. So Orchid Inn still has me as a customer, everything else I got from him was fine. I'll probably get a sanderianum flask from him at next year's show.

That P. delenatii v. dunkel is totally rotted now. I contacted Sam and he said he'd send one right away once he gets back from Japan. Not sure, but it sounded like he'd pick it himself. So Orchid Inn still has me as a customer, everything else I got from him was fine. I'll probably get a sanderianum flask from him at next year's show.

Think this thread might have anything to do with his willingness to replace the plant? He has a reputation to rebuild now, it'll be a lot tougher than building it the first time.

Think this thread might have anything to do with his willingness to replace the plant? He has a reputation to rebuild now, it'll be a lot tougher than building it the first time.

dont kid yourself, his reputation hasnt been hit by this thread....or anything that goes on in ST..but if you personally press Sam enough he will replace items ..but he will fight you on it first..he's very stubborn.

dont kid yourself, his reputation hasnt been hit by this thread....or anything that goes on in ST..but if you personally press Sam enough he will replace items ..but he will fight you on it first..he's very stubborn.

I didnt hope for that. But I hope he starts selling better plants from now on. Like the plants that he has on his sales table. I still think he is an amazing breeder.

he's been known as a 'bad grower' for as long as i can remember (from 1996) ..and has been selling bad , as well as good plants since then..i have heard his divisions are even worse ..i have a greenhouse so if i want something bad enough from him i will know it may take some time to recover from his growing(for example, some gigantifolium hybrids, but they were cheap, so i took the chance)....but i wouldn't recommend him to anyone who grows indoors..there are much better growers out there ..his flasks are a different story , though... very good breeding and if the lab doesnt screw up the shipping , you get a great product
also, you have to consider what his specialties are..parvis arent one of them..and he's admitted that he cant grow them very well..he loves brachys and roths , so he seems to give them better care..i have bought 30 brachys from him and havent been disappointed for the most part (package deals)..i suspect his roths are similar

he's been known as a 'bad grower' for as long as i can remember (from 1996) ..and has been selling bad , as well as good plants since then..i have heard his divisions are even worse ..i have a greenhouse so if i want something bad enough from him i will know it may take some time to recover from his growing(for example, some gigantifolium hybrids, but they were cheap, so i took the chance)....but i wouldn't recommend him to anyone who grows indoors..there are much better growers out there ..his flasks are a different story , though... very good breeding and if the lab doesnt screw up the shipping , you get a great product
also, you have to consider what his specialties are..parvis arent one of them..and he's admitted that he cant grow them very well..he loves brachys and roths , so he seems to give them better care..i have bought 30 brachys from him and havent been disappointed for the most part (package deals)..i suspect his roths are similar

That explains a lot. Thanks

Kind of strange, these are flasks I got recently, just rinsed off the media and dropped them into compots. I think they are making progress in the short time they have been potted up...

another thing, is that he doesnt actually grow his plants out of flask..he has his lab do that ..and he receives them once they are established...but not all of them establish good roots in a compot (anyone wh grows their plants in compots for awhile know this)..so if you are receiving plants that are small enough to keep in compots for a long time (like parvis)..you run the risk of receiving plants like your dunkel

After reading posts on ST I'm not so sure about buying plants, but will be buying more flasks from Sam for sure...

another thing, is that he doesnt actually grow his plants out of flask..he has his lab do that ..and he receives them once they are established...but not all of them establish good roots in a compot (anyone wh grows their plants in compots for awhile know this)..so if you are receiving plants that are small enough to keep in compots for a long time (like parvis)..you run the risk of receiving plants like your dunkel

Do you know where the lab is that grows them out? Where are they shipped from?

Latest posts

Back