• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nesbitt's Orchids order

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year a group of us in the U.S. are interested in ordering australian terrestrial orchids from Nesbitt's Orchids in Australia. We imported a fair number of them a few years ago, with mixed results. They definitely require some skill in water management! Les Nesbitt will send us a list of the tubers that will be dormant and available in September, and if there are enough interested parties, we will proceed fairly quickly with an order. It's necessary to move quickly, as we must have the tubers shipped while they are dormant, partly so that they are settled in their pots when it's time to start watering them at the end of their rest periods. Also we can't ship 'plants', or tubers that have sprouted to the point that they can't be classified as 'dormant tubers' anymore.

There are high export/inspection costs from Australia due to the gov't. trying to recover budget losses by increasing taxes to everything. Last time there was an estimated export cost of around $180 I think, but this was split equally between all of the order participants. It will definitely be higher this year, Les has told me. But, if enough people participate, then these fees will be reduced. There are very few places to buy native terrestrial australian orchids, though Asuka Orchids in california is one who has some pterostylis.

If you live in the U.S. and would like to participate in the order, let me know. If you would like to know how the general order process went, you can talk with tenman, leo schordje or nyeric. If you live in another country and would like to participate, consider forming your own group to purchase some aussie natives; I don't export anything except charm and good will and of course my unusual sense of humor at times. Les is very helpful and the quality of his orchid tubers is excellent.

any questions, comments or concerns just let me know

regards,
charles

Any thoughts on what orchids may be available and the US temp zones they may grow in ?

Charlie
coastal NC
Zone 8

The april 2010 list had these genera

caladenia
chiloglottis
corybas
cyrtostylis
diplodium
diuris
leptoceras
microtis
pterostylis
thelymitra
pterygodium
serapias

Some will be hybrids, most are species. Les said that there likely would not be as many different items available this year, but which would or wouldn't be available, I wouldn't know. Some grow in quite bright and sunny environments, and all have a dormant period that is based on wet/dry cycle. Some like a bit cooler but bright environment. I know one person who grows the pterostylis and a few others in his greenhouse in georgia. Others grow pterostylis in their greenhouse and outdoors in california and others grow under lights across the country. I tried growing them on my south windowsill in upstate ny, and though it seemed like I had good results with some, only two plants made new tubers. I believe it was too hot periodically, which made them go dormant too early. If I do try more, I will grow them under lights. Les made a point of telling me that all of the items that are listed for sale on the export list, do not need mychorrizae to survive. There are two caladenias on the list; one hybrid and one species. These he said will grow in a pot without beneficial fungus

There are also some good australian native orchid websites for information about different genera and species; these orchids are quite fascinating!

Most if not all of these plants are summer dormant so you will need to find a warm to hot but dry place in summer with fairly low humidity. Which could be a challenge in wet summer areas. During growth they like bright light and can handle temps down to 5c no problem. I would be careful with thelimytra too, they are quite difficult.

Mike

sad news

I am very sorry to inform everyone, that Les sent me an email today stating that because of excessive export costs now being put into place by the australian government, he will no longer be exporting orchids. I told him that I was very sorry to hear but completely understood.. and asked him if there was anyone else that was still willing to export. I don't know that there is, so there may no longer be australian terrestrials available to buy anywhere. :(
If anyone knows where you can purchase aussie terrestrials, please let me/us know.

thanks and regards,
charles

I am very sorry to inform everyone, that Les sent me an email today stating that because of excessive export costs now being put into place by the australian government, he will no longer be exporting orchids. I told him that I was very sorry to hear but completely understood..
WOW! :eek:

thanks, paphioboy; I will check it out.

I'm not at home so can't 'send' email, but i'm going to try one time to ask les if he would do one last order if we were willing to cover all of the costs. no guarantees....

I did receive an email back from Les; copied and pasted below:

Hi Charles

Last year my export inspection costs reached $250 per order which I thought was pretty high for 30 minutes work.

The new charges include $1800 per year to register an export business rising to $5000 per year over 3 years. (No charge in the past)

plus $34 per quarter hour for export inspections plus $100 per form (2 are required).

I have not yet been advised what a CITES export permit will cost. We have been advised that full cost recovery will be charged.($75/6 months in the past)

Government departments can get away with murder with seemingly no need to increase efficiency or cut out unnecessary procedures.

You will have to track down growers in your country who have tubers to spare.

Sorry I cannot help any more.

Regards, Les

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

so, nesbitt's will definitely not be exporting orchids from australia ever again..... unless things change drastically

that said, sources point to a possible source in europe; stay tuned (but different thread)

So these are all Australian government charges? If so, talk about a way to kill off an export industry which you think they would be trying to promote.

this is the sad reality of a government trying to tax us for EVERYTHING and charge us full cost to comply with it's legislation

In the new 12 months it will also start to happen to importing.

The Government here has and always will be desperate for revenue due to mismanagement and waste ( I believe 50% or more is flushed down the toilet) so there's plenty of incentive to make up new laws and charge for them. They don't need to justify anything.

I can understand charges for importing into Australia but I'm struggling to comprehend all these costs for exporting to another country. Imagine if you are from a country that charges for importations like ours. You are up for heavy costs for both importing and exporting.

Back