neos - out of bloom. foliage only.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
Variegated or bean leaf neos tend to be my favorite because I can enjoy the plants even while out of bloom.

Jonas came through and dumped 2+ feet of snow in our area and provided a nice backdrop on my window.

seikai & kuroshinju - my favorites beans. the leafspan on the seikai is about 2", the kuroshinju is about 1"

seikai (青海) & kuroshinju (黒真珠) 01 - 01.23.16 by Marco, on Flickr

hokage - From LI Jane. It developed a wonderful scarlet coloring under t5s in about 2-3 months

hokage (火影) 01 - 01.23.16 by Marco, on Flickr

nishidemiyako

nishidemiyako (西出都) 01 - 01.23.16 by Marco, on Flickr

higashidemiyako

Higashidemiyako (東出都) 01 - 01.23.16 by Marco, on Flickr

fugaku

fugaku (富嶽) 01 - 09.26.15 by Marco, on Flickr

Cool pics!! Staying indoors nice & dry, I saw your city on the news, is this weather common for you guys? I thought it snowed there every year

Awesome! Probably the leaf shape and markings are the most desirable features for most of Neof. fans.

Do you have 'Kinkujyaku'(AKA Golden Peacock)? It is bean leaf type with some variegated(tiger-band) markings. It is nice to have! If I remember it right, Orchid Limited listed it on their webpage years ago and it was not cheap. I wonder if it is more available now.

Kinkujaku 金孔雀 is a very popular Neof. I have one and it is on the pricier side. But it is worth it.

Kinkujaku 金孔雀 is a very popular Neof. I have one and it is on the pricier side. But it is worth it.

Hi Matt, would you like to post a photo of yours here? I would post mine but I still don't know how to do it in a simple way yet(w/o another photo website)

Enjoy the snow Marco! Nice healthy plants. My neos are out in the snow!

Tom : I remember you had posted a video/photos of some of your neos in the snow several years back. Those photos were classic.

Do you have 'Kinkujyaku'(AKA Golden Peacock)? It is bean leaf type with some variegated(tiger-band) markings. It is nice to have! If I remember it right, Orchid Limited listed it on their webpage years ago and it was not cheap. I wonder if it is more available now.

Tom-DE : I do adore the tiger striped neos. Admittedly, I do not have to many tiger striped neos. Space permitting, kinkujyaku is something i wouldn't mind picking up. OW is offering 3 growth plants of this variety at $50

Matt : I am with Tom-DE please do post photos of your kinkujaku when you have a chance

Thanks!

Matt - Thanks. Here is a sized down version.

Untitled by MattWoelfsen, on Flickr

There is a little right arrow symbol (towards the bottom right) next to the favorite star on flicker. Choose the "BB Code" options. It will then allow you to choose the size you want to share. Then just simply copy paste the code into the reply box.

Edit - Please disregard i didn't realize you were posting from iPad. I just tried doing it through the flickr app and i'm getting the same issue.

Thanks for the photo, Matt....yours has a little bit more color than mine. and thank you for the measuring tape for size reference. It is a compact one indeed. Mine has ~16 growths and it is not even 5" wide.
Marco, $50 is cheap even for a single growth IMO. I bet OL. asked a lot more than that years ago.

Nice collection going there!
I love that backdrop!!! really adds something to the neo pictures!

That tiny bean leaf neo reminds me of one I killed off by spraying earlier in the summer. I don't remember the name, but I thought I would try my hands on bean leaf varieties seeing how small they are.
I picked up a multiple growths Tamakongu (sp?) which is considered the entry level bean leaf, and this other one with a long name, which was very small but already multiple growths.
They both had mealies it turned out. So I gave them a good spray and they both began to brown and shed leaves. Fortunately, Tamakongu stopped after losing about two or three leaves, but the other one eventually lost all the leaves and the whole thing turned dry and dark. I tossed it in November after a long wait. I was hoping it would make a comeback but never did.
Oh, well...

I almost picked up a tiger leaf from New World Orchids at a local show recently, but I passed. It was multiple growth but only $120.
To my eyes, it looked quite nice with lots of yellow area.
What determines the value of the tiger leaf variety??

What determines the value of the tiger leaf variety??

Mostly it is supply vs demand. For Neos, the uncommon/not readily available/rare varieties will always have a high price tag. Most of the exotic varieties, for example, most of the variegated ones, can't be reproduced by seeds(the seedlings don't come true in general). Some varieties are slow growing, so the divisions are hard to come by.

Also, a specimen of a common variety can demand a good sum of money for good reasons.

Tom, I always think of your neo in the snow pics when I'm deciding whether or not to bring mine in for the night!

Heather, as long as the temperature remains above the mid twenties, it can snow until the cows come home and they won't be bothered. Below ~24 F I would begin to worry, though I imagine they can take even more than that in short bursts, but not continuously.

No neos in this shot, but here was a clump of epiphytes on my crape myrtle a couple days back. The temperature at the time was 27 degrees. Plants include a Dendrobium nobile hybrid, D. moniliforme, Tillandsia usneoides, Selaginella involvens, Huperzia seiboldii, and Davallia trichomanoides:

SnowEpiphytes_zpskerflskd.jpg

All will take this event in stride.

Back