neo. higashidemiyako

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what's going on with my neos.
Kinroukaku flowered in April last year but the spike that showed up many months ago, is still tucked in between leaves and just barely showing.

Others are beginning to show spikes now which is normal for those varieties.

I don't know what's going on with my neos.
Kinroukaku flowered in April last year but the spike that showed up many months ago, is still tucked in between leaves and just barely showing.

Others are beginning to show spikes now which is normal for those varieties.

More often than not, mature multi growth neos that I acquire bloom 2-3 months after acquisition. The blooming is quite light with one to two flowers at most. This happened to my nishi, higashi, shunkyuden, shutennou. I think the off-season bloom on these neos are largely due to culture shock. I typically repot all new neos. And they go through an additional "lights out period" for another two - three days after I receive them. This year these neos are blooming around the expected time frame.

For the most part, I think newly acquired blooming size neos will need at least a year to get back into the normal blooming cycle. I think they get confused with culture change and season change. This could be a reason why some buds might stall? In my case my apt is very warm during the day. The neos that I acquired during late fall 2015 probably thought "oh it's spring let's send out spikes".

That really is a beautiful plant, and well grown. Is it an optical illusion or are the growths in the foreground a deeper yellow colour ? I ask because there is another marginal stripe variety that "morphs" into a different colour form. I think, but not sure, that it's Gojo Fukurin that can morph into Tenkei Fukurin, where the latter is the deeper yellow form.

Good point. According to a book, yellow fukurin derived from Higashidemiyako is Kotou-fukurin (湖東覆輪). Another one derived from Higashidemiyako is Koto (古都), which is a smaller version and different from the pink hybrid with the same pronounciation.

In addition to Tenkei Fukurin, Gekkaikan (月桂冠, white first, but become yellower with age) and Tenjou-nishiki (天城錦, small needle leaves derived from Tenkei Fukurin) are related to Gojou-fukurin.

True. Gojo Fukurin has light cream white variegation and mutation into a yellower color is Tenkei Fukurin, although I read that such mutation rarely happens.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference really. Individual plants within each variety also show quite a bit of variations in leaf size, how much the leaves arch over, the amount of yellow and the time of yellow,,,,headache!!

Myxodex - no optical illusion. HP pointed this out in another post as well both of you have keen eyes.

The older leaves on the bottom are yellow. The newer leaves that emerge are creamy white. It would seem that as the leaves get older they turn yellow. I'd prefer that they stay white. But the gradient from white to yellow is actually growing on me.

Latest posts

Back