Whats not in bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for more input regarding the pink version of three spured varieties.

I find neo seedlings very slow as well, and I grow indoor year around with no dormancy. lol

I'm keeping them all just in case of some cool variation. One 11 plants. It was a small flask.

My plants look nothing like yours, though. :poke: :p

Thank you for the reply with photo documentations. very nice photos and great looking plants!

You should run the routine of how you take care of your neos, too, when you have time.

Everytime I go on vacation for long, my neos shed leaves and look terrible.
It is truly a long hard work to have a well-grown neo specimen.

Ahhh but see its not about the plants. It more about the growing conditions. You've posted photos of bloomed neos indoors. Clearly their happy neos otherwise they wouldn't bloom. I want to see the setup because it might give me some ideas!

As for the routine. I can honestly say thats constantly changing. I learned so much over the past year or so and do minor adjustments here and there.

But will post something soon.

Neil - As far as routine...quite frankly its ever evolving because each plant is different.

Although, the key things I've learned over the past year or so under my conditions revolves around avoiding root rot.

No clay pots - I put some of my smaller plants in small clay pots a couple of weeks ago. On a whim I took one out yesterday and saw that a majority of the roots were rotted. The roots clearly stayed way to damp. Additionally the cold did not help. All of my smaller plants are now in plastic slated pots.

No plants with wet moss stay near an open window when its cold and windy outside. I only put partially dry pots next to a window. Wet roots + cold breeze over night = root rot.

If potting in sphag, potting in a method which allows the media to dry evenly is huge in avoiding root rot. I find that the key to controlling this is the size of the cavity in the middle of the mound. If the mound doesn't dry evenly it may feel like its dry on the outside (nice and crispy) but super moist inside. After a year if the pot stays like this, the roots start growing on the outside of the media. The outer media looks somewhat new while the inside of the media is mush...and stinky.

My apartment is dry.....very dry.... Even if media seems like its dry, if I have any doubt I water the next day and simply give the leaves a light spraying. However, when I spray I hold the plant almost upside down and spray the bottom of the leaves. Spraying from the top may cause water to pool in the crown. Which again can cause rot.

Latest posts

Back