Neo remossing time

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Slipperless member
Reaction score
I couldn't sleep this morning. So I figured no better time to start remossing some neos.

I remossed 5 5am this morning and another 6 just now then ran out of normal sphag moss.

Now I'm going to go take a nap.

Repotted - 03.14.16 by Marco, on Flickr

Repotting - 03.13.15 by Marco, on Flickr

seikai (left) Before

seikai (青海) & kuroshinju (黒真珠) 01 - 01.23.16 by Marco, on Flickr

sekai - during

seikai (青海) - 01 - 03.13.16 by Marco, on Flickr

seikai - after

seikai (青海) - 04 - 03.13.16 by Marco, on Flickr

That's a mighty fine looking Seikai :)

I'm remossing my plants this month too.

OK! OK! Guilty as charged! I NEED to repot mine before March is over. Thanks for the reminder Marco :poke:

Oh yes, ... thanks Marco, ... you have some really cool plants !

I put this off every year and yet it is such a rewarding thing to do ... as Marco's photos illustrate. The spring "root flourish" is so much more enjoyable when the repotting has been done ... no contaminating guilt !

My only issue is that here in the UK the price of decent quality sphag just keeps going up, and I have 40 plants to repot.

My only issue is that here in the UK the price of decent quality sphag just keeps going up, and I have 40 plants to repot.

I know your pain.. I have 70 plants and a minimum of half need a repotting badly, and some needed it a long time ago :sob: And April is around the corner when they begin to grow roots. I just got in a shipment of sphagnum, but I don't think I'll have enough to do them all. HELP!!!

Kawarthapine - I couldn't finish remossing last week because i ran out of sphag.Tonight is another one of those nights. However, i am finally done!

I remossed all (38) but 2 which i will do later on this year since they were put in new moss around november/december last year.

hokage division from Jane - This variety has the lovely bright ruby red root tips.

hokage (火影) 03 - 03.20.16 by Marco, on Flickr

getsuden - This is normally a variegated neo. However it developed a lovely scarlet/dark spotting on the leaves over the winter. Likely because it was too close to the lights. There is a hint of the normal variegation on the middle leaf towards the back.

getsuden (月殿) - 02 - 03.20.16 by Marco, on Flickr

benkeimaru - Sword leaf variety.

benkeimaru (弁慶丸) - 03.20.16 by Marco, on Flickr

kujaku nishiki

kujaku nishiki (孔雀錦) 01 - 03.20.16 by Marco, on Flickr

I know your pain.. I have 70 plants and a minimum of half need a repotting badly, and some needed it a long time ago :sob: And April is around the corner when they begin to grow roots. I just got in a shipment of sphagnum, but I don't think I'll have enough to do them all. HELP!!!

Tom - best order more sphag while you whittle away your current shipment :poke:.

Kind of off topic question here. Back in 2008/2009 you posted a photo of a chlorophyl poor asahiden variant. Do you still have the plant? If so can you share an updated photo with us? Also, do you have any other chlorophyl poor neos outside of the asahiden variant? If so can you share photos of those plants with us as well?

Photos of these variants are pretty rare too see. I'm just curious as to what else is out there.

Tom - best order more sphag while you whittle away your current shipment :poke:.

Kind of off topic question here. Back in 2008/2009 you posted a photo of a chlorophyl poor asahiden variant. Do you still have the plant? If so can you share an updated photo with us? Also, do you have any other chlorophyl poor neos outside of the asahiden variant? If so can you share photos of those plants with us as well?

Photos of these variants are pretty rare too see. I'm just curious as to what else is out there.

No kidding Marco. I was smart this year though - I bought a 40L bag of NZ AA grade to use as the inner ball of moss and the crazy long stuff for just rapping the outside. That long moss is insanely expensive. Still, I'm not sure I'll have enough to do ALL of them.

That Asahiden variant is called Youmeiden. You'll see growths of it in any large clump of Asahiden. If separated they become "ghost fuukiran" since they are pretty much destined to die eventually. I had mine for something like 4 years before it finally gave in. The best thing to do with forms like that is to leave them attached to the mother plant.

I knew I had seen your plants☺️ (I have the same name at other forums)
They are lovely☺️ I dont have any neos, but they look supercute

Yeah, I had to go search for your plant, knowing I had seen your name and plants. Lol- curiosity killed the cat, they say. Good thing I aint't no cat

Roots looks really really healthy, and I have to admit: cant wait for them to bloom, so please keep us updated☺️

Ps: repotting/remossing is a good way to spend a sleepless night

I knew I had seen your plants☺️ (I have the same name at other forums)

You must be referring to orchid board. I do have the same name there. I got 4 more plants to repot today (3 neos and a sedirea). One is really tiny neo much smaller than kuroshinjo. A mini of minis if you will if the leafspan holds.

I will be up tonight i just hope not to late as i have work tomorrow.

Back