Neofinetia photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakkai

Reaction score
While I am (not so patiently) waiting for my first Phrag seedling to colour up and open its first flowers... I have been enjoying these blossoms:

Benisuzume:

Hisui:

Toukou:

Fugaku:

Tamakongo:

Shutenno:

Shutenkaku:

Hope everyone enjoys these as much as I have. If only you could all smell the fragrance from them! There have been lots of blooms on the Neos since I first noticed the spike on the Phrag - over a month now. Do they always take this long? Or has it been our cold, wet weather that has slowed it down? Hopefully, it won't be too much longer now!

The scent is wonderful, isn't it? Out of curiosity, how long did your blooms last? Mine seem to last a few weeks, then start to fade... I guess I need to get more growths that will bloom so that I have more spikes!

The Phrag is Andean Fire using [(besseae ‘Mont Millais’ 4N x besseae ‘Franz Glanz’ 4N) 'Firebird' x lindleyanum].

Last edited:
Can I hope that very slow growing also = flowers very long lasting? Or is that too much??

Just took this pic to show what it looks like now...

The plant itself doesn't seem to be that slow a grower... just seems to have taken forever for the spike to develop and open (and I'm still waiting!) At least it looks like I will get three flowers.

Excellent photos of very nice plants! I really like the first and last ones! There's probably some cultural info on here somewhere, but how do you grow yours? I've been scared to try them, 'cause they have a reputation of being tricky to grow. Is that true?

Thanks everyone! I think the Neos are really great plants. Such a lot of variety - plant form, flower form, flower colour, leaf variegation - for people who like to collect, its a dream come true!

Jean, I'm hoping it won't be too much longer now! I can't wait to see what the flower is going to turn out like.

Kevin, I don't think they are tricky - they seem to like the conditions I can provide. They like good light (like the Vandas they are related to), and they really seem to love air circulation around their roots (again like Vandas). They seem to be very temperature tolerant.

I grow mine on a 'windowsill' (shelf and benches set up) on an unheated, glassed-in side porch. Its South-West facing, so they get plenty of light (I keep the variegated ones farther from the window so that they don't get too much red in them). The ambient humidity here is quite high, so the humidity around the plants is 70%+ (most times it stays within the 80-95% range). Temperatures range from 25C (or ever so occasionally a bit more than that) as summer highs, down to 10C winter lows. I try to get a good difference between day and night temps - especially in the winter - as I was told that is what influences flowering.

Give them a try! They are beautiful - and beautifully fragrant! And they are small enough to fit into any collection. The only problem I can see - if it is a problem - is that it is difficult to have just one... :evil:

Nice variety of neos!
That seems like a normal time frame for buds to pop. I think the temps have an influence on how soon they open. The goods news is the flower life span sould last longer in cooler temps.

Very well, thank you. I'm seeing some new root growth so they are definitely settling in nicely.

Kevin, I don't think they are tricky - they seem to like the conditions I can provide. They like good light (like the Vandas they are related to), and they really seem to love air circulation around their roots (again like Vandas). They seem to be very temperature tolerant.

I grow mine on a 'windowsill' (shelf and benches set up) on an unheated, glassed-in side porch. Its South-West facing, so they get plenty of light (I keep the variegated ones farther from the window so that they don't get too much red in them). The ambient humidity here is quite high, so the humidity around the plants is 70%+ (most times it stays within the 80-95% range). Temperatures range from 25C (or ever so occasionally a bit more than that) as summer highs, down to 10C winter lows. I try to get a good difference between day and night temps - especially in the winter - as I was told that is what influences flowering.

Give them a try! They are beautiful - and beautifully fragrant! And they are small enough to fit into any collection. The only problem I can see - if it is a problem - is that it is difficult to have just one... :evil:

Do they grow well mounted? Are yours in pots? The difficulty I have heard about is that they are very particular about potting. They have to sit on top of a mound of moss or something like that. Anyway, if they grow well mounted, I'll give one a try. Too bad I missed the Orchids Limited deadline for ordering (Jason is coming here in Sept.). The temps you listed are perfect for me too!

Kevin, I think Jason will be bringing a few to sell at our meeting.

Latest posts

Back