Neofinetia falcata Soubiryu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of Soubiryu 双尾龍 and it seems my two plants grow lots of roots and lots of leaves and blooms regularly but they haven't turned their energy towards growing fans. A Neo friend of mine advised me to cut the spike off...but I love the blooms too much!

Very nice flowers.

I kind of like how the freaky they are.
Two spurs and split lip. :)

These are by division I guess? in order to maintain that funky feature?
Where do you get your neos??

I kind of like how the freaky they are.
Two spurs and split lip. :)

These are by division I guess? in order to maintain that funky feature?
Where do you get your neos??

This one is from Orchids Limited (I think)... And yes I think it is a division. I I bought also many of them from Flora Peculia and Tropical Garden (Canada) and semetimes from other growers.

I just hope it will have more fans someday... and make more flowering stalks!

It could grow more fans, but this variety isn't prone to doing so very often. It will likely take a few to several years of excellent culture before it decides to sprout another growth alongside the original plant. Your patience and longevity are required here.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried applying Phal keiki paste to stimulate a new growth. :D I also wonder whether or not it would harm the plant. :eek:

Nice photos of one of my favorites. I have the same issue with this form - it doesn't make new fans, acting like a "true" Vanda. I don't know that cutting emerging spikes will help or not, but that is an interesting idea. Other Neo varieties are similar in growth habit, for example Hanamatoi. Once the fan reaches flowering size it blooms readily, but produces few or no new fans. That's why such types remain rare and expensive. What's odd is I have a Kibana that does the same thing, flowering sometimes in both spring and fall, but never producing a new fan.

Nice photos of one of my favorites. I have the same issue with this form - it doesn't make new fans, acting like a "true" Vanda. I don't know that cutting emerging spikes will help or not, but that is an interesting idea. Other Neo varieties are similar in growth habit, for example Hanamatoi. Once the fan reaches flowering size it blooms readily, but produces few or no new fans. That's why such types remain rare and expensive. What's odd is I have a Kibana that does the same thing, flowering sometimes in both spring and fall, but never producing a new fan.

I'm so envious of your Hanamtoi! :clap:

I'm so envious of your Hanamtoi! :clap:

Ah, sadly, it isn't mine. In the local area I've only seen two plants, that beauty in my last video, and a smaller plant which is a division of it. Neither is for sale. A single fan, even now, would be around $1000+ here - if someone would part with it. I don't even know if anyone has it outside of Japan.

Back