Blooming Neofinetia & Friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that triple spur Manjushage is amazing.

Btw did you notice the first triple spur neo award of Manjushage ‘Flying Cranes’ AM/AOS was mine back when, lol.

I really did not pay attention to the owners of the previous awards to Neo’s. I was on a team with Rob H. And the three of us were rendered speechless by the 5 we looked at!
I remember how impressed we were, but at the same time we each had shortcomings when it comes to judging Vanda falcata. Yes we see one or two here and there. Maybe a few in vendor booths or in the ORCHIDS magazine. But we wanted to calm down and get ourselves under control. We had beautiful plants in front of us and we knew that we needed to just slow everything down a bit.
Yes, I know that as judges we are suppose to be prepared for events such as this but holy cow, how often do 9 falcatas show up together on a judging table???!

I really did not pay attention to the owners of the previous awards to Neo’s. I was on a team with Rob H. And the three of us were rendered speechless by the 5 we looked at!
I remember how impressed we were, but at the same time we each had shortcomings when it comes to judging Vanda falcata. Yes we see one or two here and there. Maybe a few in vendor booths or in the ORCHIDS magazine. But we wanted to calm down and get ourselves under control. We had beautiful plants in front of us and we knew that we needed to just slow everything down a bit.
Yes, I know that as judges we are suppose to be prepared for events such as this but holy cow, how often do 9 falcatas show up together on a judging table???!
Was a culture award on the table?

How many flowers and buds?

I was responsible for counting flowers, inflorescences and measuring the flowers. I handed in my measurements and flower counts to my team Captain on a small chit of paper our 4” x 3” printed entry form. He wrote the description, we edited it as needed, and he transcribed my measurements onto the entry form.
The flower count if I recall was 18/5. My only regret is not getting that information, both count and measurements, back. It probably was discarded as we broke up at the end.

Oh, about a cultural award. We considered it but due to us being not very well versed in recent falcata’s, we were hesitant to go that route.
It was an 85 point AM.
I know that it might not seem like the best reason or excuse, but we did discus just how much better we will be, as judges, after the owners Educational Program in August. We just could not be sure that we were going to be entirely fair in our cultural scoring and evaluation. Would we under point an 18/5 plant or would we over point it.

Thanks for the info.

IMHO… Based on growing, exhibiting and awarding neos here and in Japan for last 15 years, I would have no hesitation on a cultural award on top of the quality award. But as you say, the experience and education of falcatas here will need to be further elucidated.

I understand what you are saying and I agree completely. I just remember being so impressed with what I witnessed on the judging table with these plants, I wanted to award them all! They were that impressive. But your experience or exposure to orchids varies so much from judge to judge. It would be nice if all judges were linked into one giant memory bank where we all have access to, or we all can see, what other judges have seen.
In terms of Neo's, it would be wonderful for me to instantly see what you have seen. But that is not possible. But like I said, I wanted to initially award everything! Flower quality awards, cultural awards, the whole nine yards so to speak. I had to try and contain myself, to restore order to my emotional reactions to these plants.
But so much of judging and the knowledge of orchids comes from experience. Pictures and descriptions only take us so far. I decided to try and take my initial impressions out of the equation. I tried to calmly look at things and listen to what the other team members felt. At the time I felt that we did the right thing, I still do. We judged these Neo's to the best of our ability at the time. And having seen those nine plants, I think that my knowledge of them has grown. And maybe that is enough. I know that the next one that comes on my judging table will be evaluated differently by me, I have more experience, good or bad.

I understand what you are saying and I agree completely. I just remember being so impressed with what I witnessed on the judging table with these plants, I wanted to award them all! They were that impressive. But your experience or exposure to orchids varies so much from judge to judge. It would be nice if all judges were linked into one giant memory bank where we all have access to, or we all can see, what other judges have seen.
In terms of Neo's, it would be wonderful for me to instantly see what you have seen. But that is not possible. But like I said, I wanted to initially award everything! Flower quality awards, cultural awards, the whole nine yards so to speak. I had to try and contain myself, to restore order to my emotional reactions to these plants.
But so much of judging and the knowledge of orchids comes from experience. Pictures and descriptions only take us so far. I decided to try and take my initial impressions out of the equation. I tried to calmly look at things and listen to what the other team members felt. At the time I felt that we did the right thing, I still do. We judged these Neo's to the best of our ability at the time. And having seen those nine plants, I think that my knowledge of them has grown. And maybe that is enough. I know that the next one that comes on my judging table will be evaluated differently by me, I have more experience, good or bad.
I think the AM was a great decision for sure!

Latest posts

Back