Need your opinion please; P. sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbud

Orchid Maniac
Reaction score
Received today, and when I was unpacking the plant practically fell out of the pot. It was all black around the top of the roots and loose. I noticed it was real loose so I laid it over and dumped out the media, slowly, very carefully. When I got the plant out the roots were all black and there were a bunch of pieces of root in the media. Here's the way I received the plants:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

The media that I dumped out:
DSC_0009.jpg

The roots that I picked out of the media:
DSC_0020-1.jpg

I soaked the roots and when I picked it up to repot another root just fell off.
When I repotted I basically just laid it on the media because it had no support.
DSC_0022.jpg

So my question is this:
Would you have paid $70 for this plant, plus shipping?
Is there any way this plant can be saved?
I'm really perplexed and need your help, this is my first sandy and I was really excited about getting it and then this.
Thanks

Crappy thing! Ask for your money back, including shipping. That's what I would do.

that's rough but it does have a couple new growths.
did the description say anything about it?
is it previously bloomed?

the plant will probably live but will be set-back with a long recovery. i would ask for money back. if you keep it, you should put it in a 2.25" or 4" pot not the big pot it's in now.

Here is the way the deal went down by email.....

Me: Do you still have the Paphiopedilum sanderianum?

Them: We do not have the particular sanderianum you were looking for but we do have another that has bloomed once before I believe. It has long older leaves (like a 20 " leaf span or more), and new petals growing already for the next bloom. It would be $75.

Me: Is this sanderianum a species or hybrid? And you say it has bloomed before and is it a division?

Them: The sanderianum is a species. I *think* I remember it blooming before - so that leaf span was very wide - the new growth is shorter and will get longer as it grows and gets ready to bloom again. It is not a division.

So basically I got what they described minus the shi**y roots. It's almost like they had an old growth and put two seedlings in with it. I really can't tell if that older growth has bloomed. I'm not at all familiar with the sandy and don't know where the inflorescence comes out from. There is no old stem in the old growth leaf pocket. So whether it has bloomed or not, I can't be certain and neither could they.
I'm really heart broken because I've wanted a sandy for so long and now this. I will ask for my money back as it was quite expensive. Thank you guys for your help.

Update on P. sanderianum

I receive this reply to a refund request today:

I am so sorry Jack. Our greenhouse lady was supposed to repot everything we sent out and check roots before they are sent. She obviously did not check those, and I'm sincerely embarrassed. We pride ourselves on sending out not only good but special plants. I have refunded you $75.

It seems that your sandy is a bit small from the photo. Based on the number of side growths it is putting on, I am thinking that your sandy may take a very long time to regain its healthiness to bloom

I'm glad they've refunded your money and sent you a decent plant for your troubles. It's good that they were embarrassed because they should have been embarrassed for sending that particular P. sanderianum! This is a clear case of the seller doing the right thing after being confronted with the clear evidence of what they did wrong the first time around. No doubt it's disappointing you are still looking for a good P. sanderianum, but with patience you will find one.

um, unless i'm mistaken, $75 for a sanderianum of decent size is not expensive. they still go for $$$, especially in bud

since they made good, where did you get it?

First of all; All flower spikes come from the center of Paphs/Phrags. So look at the area where the leaves come together for a opening with nothing in it or an old "wooden" stick coming out. If the leaf center of the plant on top is tight together with no new leaf coming out, most likely the fan never bloomed. Roots will come on quickly now that you repotted. The trick is to keep them coming. If successful then you should expect flowers in 5 years or less from the side growths.
Anyone else want to place a bet on the next bloom cycle?

Inspecting the old growth leaf center there is no opening or "old stick". I was hoping it just hasn't bloomed yet. I hate to think it won't bloom. :-(
The two side growths do appear to be a long ways off. Is this normal?
To finish the story: They refunded my money immediately but it didn't show until Monday because of the w/e. Sat. I sent an email offering $30 because I repotted and didn't want to fool with sending it back. Mon. they accepted and took the money back out. And yes you probably guessed it was Orchid Babies and I'm very happy over all as I will probably never get a chance to get a sandy for that price. I just hope the roots weren't messed up too bad that it will eventually die. Thanks all for your interest.

Latest posts

Back