Dehydrated near rootless P sanderianum seedling

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I did not nail the issue down.

The new longer roots aborted root tips (again). The longest healthy root completely rotted off. If the next flush aborts again, I'm throwing it in pure perlite and 100% humidity. I swear to god this thing is the bane of my existence. Meanwhile, the new sanderianum seedling I got with Bionic Man has been growing great roots in bark for the past month. Maybe I just got a runt.
I'm interested into how it performed since last year. Is it still alive?

Still alive and kicking somehow, no more new roots and the main growth point stopped growing but the plant is now throwing out 4 basal shoots. Meanwhile its sibling I got 3 months ago is in a 4” pot, steadily growing, and survived the winter easily. I’m thinking this one was probably a runt

Still alive and kicking somehow, no more new roots and the main growth point stopped growing but the plant is now throwing out 4 basal shoots. Meanwhile its sibling I got 3 months ago is in a 4” pot, steadily growing, and survived the winter easily. I’m thinking this one was probably a runt
I had very good results by using washed CHC that stays wet all the time (+ high humidity >70%). Then a large amount (two tablespoons on 3.5" pot) of lime powder (calcium carbonate) on the substrate with every watering (every other day) - this is the powder you use to fertilize the lawn.

In addition foliar fertilize every other day. After several weeks you should have a very healthy plant with lots of roots. I did the same with a P. hirsutissimum. Everyone thought I was crazy for using so much lime powder because of its high pH. It worked wonders for me and I use it always when a Paph looks sick or puny, for whatever reason. So if you're ready to experiment... but if it has now produced 4 new shoots anyway then perhaps it has managed it on its own? If these are not only fed from the large shoot.

I've been dealing with this near rootless P. sanderianum seedling I received from Sam and I forgot to water it one day beforehand. The leaves became somewhat wrinkly, the bottom leaves have become droopy, and it has not grown a single root in the three months that I've had it. I've cut watering in half a month ago since I unpotted it and noticed a lack of roots and moisture in the middle of the media but I'm a bit concerned that the top of the media dries out too much for root production. Do you guys have any luck growing this in sphagnum? I find that sphagnum mixes dry more evenly but I'm a bit scared since most reports of multiflorals in sphag long term result in death. Below is an image of it a month ago when I unpotted it.
View attachment 39339
sanderianum has been the source of much frustration. All my other Paph grow relatively well, but sanderianum is different for no discernible reason. The plants I lost would just sit there for years growing very, very slowly or not all. Around it everything was thriving and growing ever larger. I appreciate these posts as they give me some clarity on what I might have done wrong, or may what I was not doing to make it thrive.

Latest posts

Back