P. sanderianum rot issue

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc6847

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm encountering some rot on the basal leaves of a new growth on a recently acquired P. sanderianum that recently popped up somewhat simultaneously with our rains outside in Los Angeles. I already removed one small leaf at the base that was mostly rotted, removed clear watery tissue on the base of the second leaf, and dusted with cinnamon. Temperature lows average 65 F, ~50% humidity, moderate light, and watering once a week in a medium bark and perlite mixture from the original nursery. The roots in the top layer of media feel to be mostly healthy but no active growth tips. Would this be from water contact, low temperatures, or a combination of both? I'm a bit hesitant to reduce watering frequency since I don't want to dry out the plant further and risk dehydration but I also don't want the rot to spread further than it already has.

Attachments

• IMG_6464.jpg
    IMG_6464.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6465.jpg
    IMG_6465.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 2
I don't play with rot. I'm in S. Florida and rot is everywhere. I use cinnamon to dry the rot for 24-48 hours, then I unpot the plant and give it a Daconil and/or Physan soak for at least 30 minutes and repeat with spray applications once a week decreasing frequency to once a month if I don't see any additional spread. This might be overkill, but I don't take any risks.

If you have the humidity, perhaps consider semi-hydro culture in a medium sized pumice for this plant. I'm fearful of organic media in my growing conditions, and pumice/semi-hyrdo seems to keep my plants (including sanderianum) pretty disease free.

Order a bottle of Luna Sundara from amazon and douse the area of rot well.
What is Luna Sundara? I googled and find incense and smudge sticks. What is it and how do you use it--paint it on rot areas? Sorry if I am showing ignorance, but I am definitely ignorant in this area.

What is Luna Sundara? I googled and find incense and smudge sticks. What is it and how do you use it--paint it on rot areas? Sorry if I am showing ignorance, but I am definitely ignorant in this area.
dragon blood

The red latex of the Sangre de Drago (called Sangre de Grado in Peru), from any of seven species of Croton native to Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Brazil, has purported wound-healing and antioxidant properties, and has been used for centuries by native people. ie its sap from a Croton (usually)

Back