Need id confirmation for cf. supardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
37365396735_98a961d2b9_b.jpg

Paphiopedilum ¿supardii? by Secun, on Flickr

Is this Paphiopedilum supardii?
As I have never seen a P. supardii live before, I'd like to know if someone can positively confirm that this is supardii and not a hybrid of supardii.
I am quite confident that it is the species. If you need any other detail photographed, tell me. The flower is still 'stretching', now it is about 8cm x 5cm.
Thanks.

Well, it absolutely looks like the P. supardii, that I just bloomed at home! :)

I love this species, but there is quite a little feud in here, where others call the poor, defenceless plant 'ugly', 'strange' and I-don't-know-what. So now you are warned!

Take no offence - and first and foremost: don't show that kind of hate-speech to your plant!!! :wink:

I see nothing that would suggest anything otherwise. Especially the flower count.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I can not remember that I ever had a syrphid fly in my apartment, and anyway there are not many of them in the city. Today there was one, hovering around the flower(s) of P. supardii, and there were three eggs, too.
36533086654_319e81281a_b.jpg

syrphid fly by Secun, on Flickr

These flowers must have powerful pheromones to attract those odd hover-flies from outside. The syrphid species from over here never have seen a supardii nor anything like - so the pheromones must be powerful, specific for syrphids but recognizable even to 'foreign' syrphid species.

36614648643_29086bbc49_b.jpg

Paphiopedilum supardii 'The Ugly Swan'; by Secun, on Flickr

The second flower is open now (the third - all in a hurry - opening too). This flower shows the same 'torsion' like the first flower. While the first flower looks like marking 5:00 on an analog watch, the second one shows 7:00 - the slipper always pointing towards the axis of the spike. Weird supardii is ...

Meanwhile, I got an e-mail from Elsner, she too confirms it is a supardii.

BTW, on the right sepal (and on the left sepal of the half-open-bud) you can spot syrphid eggs!

37023993484_46c59ebbb3_b.jpg

Paphiopedilum supardii 'The Ugly Swan', by Secun on Flickr

Five shoes for The Ugly Swan.

Now it bloomed out in its full splendor. I like it and wouldn't call it 'Ugly Swan', if you call it swan than you should call it 'Proud Swan'.

When you expected a roth (=swan) and pampered it for four years and it turns out to be this ... duckling (=supardii), it feels like 'The Ugly Swan' !

Your last pic with all 5 open is wonderful. With roths easier to come by on this side of the big pond, a blooming supardii would be a very pleasant surprise on a mis-labelled plant!

Sexy bugger!

With the ongoing supardii-feud in mind (see my first comment), it's nice to see, that at least someone else takes great pleasure in the species :rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: :

Thanks.

I can not remember that I ever had a syrphid fly in my apartment, and anyway there are not many of them in the city. Today there was one, hovering around the flower(s) of P. supardii, and there were three eggs, too.
36533086654_319e81281a_b.jpg

syrphid fly by Secun, on Flickr

These flowers must have powerful pheromones to attract those odd hover-flies from outside. The syrphid species from over here never have seen a supardii nor anything like - so the pheromones must be powerful, specific for syrphids but recognizable even to 'foreign' syrphid species.

Last edited:
Your last pic with all 5 open is wonderful. With roths easier to come by on this side of the big pond, a blooming supardii would be a very pleasant surprise on a mis-labelled plant!

I agree Rick. Roths are pretty common these days. I expect supardii would be worth more. It looks nice with 5 flowers open.

Latest posts

Back