nearby native orchids (pt 2)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here are the rest, (no slippers)

harveyb709a.JPG

platanthera flava

harveyb709b.JPG

harveyb709c.JPG

spiranthes lucida or shining ladies tresses

harveyb709d.JPG

harveyb709e.JPG

harveyb709f.JPG

harveyb709g.JPG

platanthera psycodes (lesser purple fringed orchis)

harveyb709h.JPG

WOW!!! Very nice pictures!! The lip of Spiranthes is amazing and I would love to see the P. psycodes in full bloom!!! I had to search it and I found out that its blooms are fantastic!!!

here is link to last year's trip made in mid-july (though in the post I wrote mid-june which was wrong, and I finally posted the pictures in early september) to west canada creek http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9193
the same spot, but looks like the purple fringed this summer will be as nice or nicer than last year. I'll go back, easy to get to for me.
I was actually there looking to see if I could find p. grandiflora in my area. I've heard references to it towards the upper hudson river in a very similar environment so I thought I might find it here. There are a good number of spots for it usually around cortland, ny, and supposedly there is an area near here where someone said it was found, but I'm questioning the other person's (not my friends') competency in identifying orchids. I have found some of the largest grass pinks I've ever seen in this area, and the other person may have thought that they were greater purple fringed orchis because they were so tall. I don't really know where those plants would be in that area and I don't have specific directions. I guess there are also a few spots here and there near inlet, ny in the adirondacks where grandiflora is supposed to be found.

Thanks for taking us along on your hike! Love seeing pictures of native orchids - it's making me pay much more attention to the flora I see when I'm out on walks. :D

Latest posts

Back