platanthera grandiflora in situ (greater purple fringed orchid)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
middle of june I went back to upstate ny for the weekend and planned to see many native orchids in familiar haunts. one of the first I saw was the greater purple fringed orchid and others nearby

I took and edited/uploaded a lot of pictures; most people never see this beautiful orchid and other things where it grows. so not a lot of talk, view away!

purpleday615a.JPG

purpleday615b.JPG

purpleday615c.JPG

purpleday615d.JPG

purpleday615e.JPG

purpleday615f.JPG

purpleday615g.JPG

purpleday615h.JPG

purpleday615i.JPG

can you spot the orchid(s)?

purpleday615j.JPG

spiranthes lucida

purpleday615k.JPG

this is one of the few spiranthes in the world that has real
'color'

purpleday615l.JPG

spiranthes lucida

Beautiful, thank you for sharing! Spiranthes looks exposed, but Platanthera looks fairly shaded. Is it the case?

lucida does grow pretty much in the open in most cases. the grandiflora can be fully in the open but there is often a little shade for the plant from the plants around it, and only when it's fully flowered does part of the plant enter full sun and just the top

Amazing and brave! I wouldn't enter a place like that without
armor and tons of bug spray. There's no way you can convince me that there aren't thousands of those tiny
deer ticks in there. I sure do appreciate that you made
the trip and the photos. I admire Ken's gear!

Ken is a bit overdressed ;) he wears hip waders anywhere there is any bit of moisture so that when he kneels down to get pictures his knees won't get wet. Problem is he then sweats so much he's probably wet anyhow (and breathing pretty hard). In fens and bogs around here I've never seen a tick. Mosquitoes deer flies etc are another thing altogether

He looks well prepared to me...think poison ivy as well.
Olord, deer flies! I understand about the rain suits and
it's a great way to sweat off weight. We use them in the
nursery fields when it's been raining. It's hard to decide
whether to sweat to death or just let it rain on you while
you mow. Conundrum! You're a brave man Charles.

Ty I guess. :) it's the Mosquitos that are the real pain in the backside up state and Canada (though many would say black flies are the worst)
Friend Evelyn Greene calls Mosquitos 'The Guardians of the North' ... without them she says the Park would be over-run with turrists and day campers :rollhappy:
I can have a bug shirt on but the mosquitoes can drill through it if you didn't spray it and it's against your skin :(

Back