Naming cultivar after Cat

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Oriental Shorthair too...

1024x768GraceSummer2009.jpg

This is Grace :)

I have an Oriental Shorthair too...

1024x768GraceSummer2009.jpg

This is Grace :)
undeniably a female from the color pattern (tortoiseshell?)...nice
on a leash even, cocoa would never be down with that..he's allowed to wander the neighborhood, i dont worry about him because he's skittish of people and other cats, but he's good friends with the squirrels, they come up to him and he just sits there..birds on the other hand..i am thinking of adopting a second kitten from the cattery (Monrovia) near seattle...asked them for a girl this time

undeniably a female from the color pattern (tortoiseshell?)...nice

I had to dig out the paperwork from her breeder before I replied. It says "Blue Silver Patched Ticked Tabby"

I'm no expert on these things, but to my eyes she appears somewhat like what I understand a torti should be. I don't think she'd be a perfect match for it though. I see patches of varying shades browns, silvery bluish grays and cream tones. Some of the browns are more reddish than others. Her hair is incredibly soft as it has always been since she was just a kitten. It has never felt dry, rough nor oily...just incredibly soft! She turned 9 years old in September, and she is the second Oriental Shorthair who has owned me. :smitten: They're LOUD, demanding, interminably interested and participatory (if allowed) in every little thing I am doing at all times, and the most personable breed of cat I've ever had the privilege to spend my life with.

i used to be a breeder of orientals years ago...from what i understand she would fall under the tortie heading ..its basically a color scheme gene located on the sex chromosome (X)..females have two (also called calico cats)...its very rare to see in males

i used to be a breeder of orientals years ago...from what i understand she would fall under the tortie heading ..its basically a color scheme gene located on the sex chromosome (X)..females have two (also called calico cats)...its very rare to see in males
You know more about this than I do :D :wink:

I know she's my adorable Grace, and I can certainly understand why you love your precious Cocoa!

I have only seen one male calico in almost 30 years in the veterinary business. Indeed, these males are XXY, and sterile.

there's a deaf male calico in the neighborhood where my girlfriend lives
i guess all male calicos are and i now i'm guessing it's somehow related
are the color scheme genes always located on the sex chromosomes?

there's a deaf male calico in the neighborhood where my girlfriend lives
i guess all male calicos are and i now i'm guessing it's somehow related
are the color scheme genes always located on the sex chromosomes?

what is located on the sex chromosomes are genes that seem to randomly suppress color..hence the blotchiness in tortie's

Latest posts

Back