Cattleya dowiana var rosita ‘Red Emerald’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rosita came into bloom in Japan with two gorgeous red veined flowers. I’m in love!

I had to give it a cultivar name, and after various options, I decided on ‘Red Emerald’, which is a real red beryl gem from the green emerald family.

NS 14 cm.
Pictures by Wakayama.

E0F9A55E-DFA6-467C-B27C-F72DBEB26EF7.jpeg
2E157541-D145-4469-BAD7-926A5C77E0CD.jpeg

The red veins across the petals are supposed to mimic the lip, but as it’s not true mimicry, it is considered semi-peloric and not true pelorism.

Leslie, how does the rosita coloration transmit during breeding? I think I recently saw a picture of a Triumphans made with a rosita but can’t remember the coloration of the petals and sepals.

Leslie, how does the rosita coloration transmit during breeding? I think I recently saw a picture of a Triumphans made with a rosita but can’t remember the coloration of the petals and sepals.
Caveat: The following is based on my observations, research and literature, and is by no means the final answer lol.

The red veins of the rosita is semi-dominant (like semi peloric lol).

If bred to a yellow or white, half the time you will see the veins in various amounts. Other half nothing.

If bred to lavender, reds and blues, it tends to disappear and might show some light striations in the petal margins, almost indiscernible. They do sometimes reappear if the first generation are sib together. But rarely.

The rare one that pops out with these red veins (like some Hardyanas as seen in my Costa Rica show judging post) are stunning.

Also the semi-peloric petals may influence the progeny petals to curl to mimic the lip a bit. This is not common but does happen.

Christofferson is selling seedlings on eBay of a triumphans made with a rosita dowiana and a splash rex. Could be very interesting if both show forms through in the progeny.
Yes I’m curious how they turn out.

Note: Some rositas are not true rositas but simply dowianas turning reddish with full sun (as in suntan). I saw this in Costa Rica and verified by growers there.

Lovely! Probably one of my favorite cattleya species, but I didn't know they could be this color. I am mesmerised by the detail in the vein pattern. Is it fragrant?

I'm still screaming.... 😱😱😱😱😱

You really struck gold there, Leslie...not only is the rosita colourform in itself one of the 7 wonders of the world, but your clone furthermore is ticking any parameter, that I can think of! 🥰🥰🥰
I am thinking and feeling the same as you Jens.

My mouth dropped when I saw it and felt this overwhelming sensation of flabbergasted gratitude and serendipity 😲🤤😍.

Gorgeous flower!

Now, I’m relatively new to this forum so you may have to excuse my ignorance, but how can your plant come in bloom in Japan if you are in Canada? Please enlighten me.

Gorgeous flower!

Now, I’m relatively new to this forum so you may have to excuse my ignorance, but how can your plant come in bloom in Japan if you are in Canada? Please enlighten me.
Good question.

Sometimes I buy plants and wait to import them when the time is right (or when I get the proper permits). May take months or years because of the delays caused by the pandemic. As a result I have plants all over the world lol.

Latest posts

Back