Name The Phrag and

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rollhappy::rollhappy: Dot - I followed right along, it's not a cultural divide, it must be a gender thing! :rollhappy:
You lost me too! :):p;)
Isn't it a too complicate name?? 4 words for a grex name is not too long?
OK, I know, there are already some very long names...like Phrag. La Vivace Epicure Phyllis D. Turner!!;)
At least they are 4 short words!
It's a great honor to have a plant named after you but the example you gave to me is just too over the top! ... so apparently there is no limit!

So back to breeding choices-
I did hear back from Chuck, he said if he were to continue breeding plans, his first choice would be schmilii, then bess.
This kinda surprised me as both can be harder for some to grow but the compactness should remain. I know he had a goal for long petaled pinks so this should put more color in it, then would step 3 be put longer petals back in?
I can't help but consider the other phrags I have that are in bud and would any of them be a good option -
Stairway To Heaven ( wallisii x warszewiczii) or Wossner Supergrande(long. x warscewiczianum). Both are compactish plants with a stiffer V type growth so they're not flopping all over but then what happens to the color of the Dem X?
Other plants I have in bud are China Dragon flavum, Robin Redbreast flavum, and a first timer - Magdalene Rose x wallisii. All are large plants, so there goes the compactness but they should have color & be faster growing!

:rollhappy::rollhappy: Dot - I followed right along, it's not a cultural divide, it must be a gender thing! :rollhappy:

At least they are 4 short words!
It's a great honor to have a plant named after you but the example you gave to me is just too over the top! ... so apparently there is no limit!

So back to breeding choices-
I did hear back from Chuck, he said if he were to continue breeding plans, his first choice would be schmilii, then bess.
This kinda surprised me as both can be harder for some to grow but the compactness should remain. I know he had a goal for long petaled pinks so this should put more color in it, then would step 3 be put longer petals back in?
I can't help but consider the other phrags I have that are in bud and would any of them be a good option -
Stairway To Heaven ( wallisii x warszewiczii) or Wossner Supergrande(long. x warscewiczianum). Both are compactish plants with a stiffer V type growth so they're not flopping all over but then what happens to the color of the Dem X?
Other plants I have in bud are China Dragon flavum, Robin Redbreast flavum, and a first timer - Magdalene Rose x wallisii. All are large plants, so there goes the compactness but they should have color & be faster growing!
Yes -- I stumble over Epicure every time...

Interesting choices. I'd be tempted to try either China Dragon flavum -- to make a yellow, or Magdalene Rose x wallisii -- to make a pink/red -- or both! Keep those long tails!

Holy mackerel! Didn't I say schlimii??!!

Seriously, I am such a beginner, this is just a hoot to me!! :rollhappy:

I would consider using pollen from a tetraploid Andean Fire, or Mem. Dick Clements. Doubling up on the sargentianum/lindleyanum genes will emphasize the multifloral behavior and intestingly enough, intensify color. The besseae will add color too. Plant size will be up, but not as much as going with a caudatum or longifolium type.

PM me for pollen.

In the case of changing the name. This will be bad if they changed again, this crossover from what is considered to be formerly known as warscewiczianum.

Latest posts

Back