My Polyanthas in 2022

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First one of my Polyanthas in flower is Paph. supardii.....it's the little brother of Paph. rothschildianum in my eyes. I bought it as a very young plant from Hilmar in an eBay auction some years ago. This is the first flowering and I'm pretty pleased with 3 pretty flowers.
Paph. supardii

08594_22.05.25_paph_supardii.jpg

08596_22.05.25_paph_supardii.jpg

and for Brucher and Jens the whole plant
08612_22.05.25_paph_supardii.jpg

To be continued because the next one is just about to unfold its petals.........

Last edited:
Hmmm… it looks at first glance a supardii with the correct staminode… but the straight red and long petals are not consistent with the species. Might be bred back to supardii from roths?
Leslie and Martin, to be honest....I expected this demur because I have photos of another Paph. supardii which I flowered in 2008 (by now unfortunately the plant doesn't live anymore) and the petals of this plant were shorter and more twisted.....a bit untidy. I dont know if these petals are within the normal variation of the species or if there was any breeding with other species ?

Leslie and Martin, to be honest....I expected this demur because I have photos of another Paph. supardii which I flowered in 2008 (by now unfortunately the plant doesn't live anymore) and the petals of this plant were shorter and more twisted.....a bit untidy. I dont know if these petals are within the normal variation of the species or if there was any breeding with other species ?
Unfortunately I conferred with some growers like Eggshells and we all agree that it is not within the range of supardii. Perhaps confirm with Hilmar and see other sib blooms?

Hmmm… ....Might be bred back to supardii from roths?
The primary hybrid Paph. rothschildianum x Paph. supardii is Paph. David Ott which resembles my flowers a lot.

..................Perhaps confirm with Hilmar and see other sib blooms?
I sent Hilmar an email and we will see what he will say.

Last edited:
First one of my Polyanthas in flower is Paph. supardii.....it's the little brother of Paph. rothschildianum in my eyes. I bought it as a very young plant from Hilmar in an eBay auction some years ago. This is the first flowering and I'm pretty pleased with 3 pretty flowers.
Paph. supardii

08594_22.05.25_paph_supardii.jpg

08596_22.05.25_paph_supardii.jpg

and for Brucher and Jens the whole plant
View attachment 34608

To be continued because the next one is just about to unfold its petals.........
Thank you! Beautiful.

Few moments ago I recieved the response of Hilmar. He wrote that he looked up his old breeding book and fund out he made two crosses with Paph. supardii in 2006.....Paph. supardii x self and Paph. gigantifolium x Paph. supardii. He wrote furthermore that my plant would not be Paph. David Ott = Paph. rothschildianum x Pah. supardii which he not had for sale during that time.
Paph. gigantifolium x Paph. supardii was registered as Paph. Memoria Heinz Rengers by Hilmar Bauch in 2014......but unfortunately I can't find more than 2 or 3 photos Paph. Memoria Heinz Rengers in the net. In my eyes the flowers of my plant resemble more Paph. David Ott.....but Hilmar says this is impossible if the origin of the plant was his nursery......and it definitely was.

Last edited:
...or that his supardii wasnt a true one.
Maybe, if he has a photo we will see if it was a true one.
I don't see any gigantifolium in it....
Tony, so do I. My flower resembles more Paph. David Ott than Paph. Memoria Heinz Rengers, at least by photos which are available in the net.
I could believe the supardii parent was a mislabeled David Ott and this is the result of a selfing.
That's another posibility.

Hmmm… it looks at first glance a supardii with the correct staminode… but the straight red and long petals are not consistent with the species.
It's a nice plant and flowers, but this was exactly my thought - the petals don't provide us with the clownish anarchy so characteristic of supardii (that I love and Ozpah, due to his coulrophobia, detests). From the pictures you provide with the link, Rudolf, that trait seems to be preserved in P. Mem. Heinz Regners.
I guess we have to accept the fact that gigantifolium is a parent!
That's a rather debatable proposition. The characteristic colouring of the ovary of gigantifolium (white) carries over to its hybrids - at least to some extent, I think. Again I refer to Rudolf's photo link for Mem. Heinz Regners, where such influence is pretty clear.
May we have a closeup from the side of the your plant, displaying the ovary, Rudolf?
I already tend to endorse the mislabeling hypothesis, and if no influence from gigantifolium can be detected in respect to the ovary, I would consider this the clinching argument!

Last edited:
Back