My Paphs in 2011 - so far

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although these two first time flowering Paphs started flowering in the last days of 2010 I was just able to take photos in the first days of 2011. So I will start my 2011 thread with these images.

Paphiopedilum callosum
Not the best callosum in flowershape and stance especially of the petals but perhaps it will improve that with next blooms.

paph_callosum11.jpg

paph_callosum11_1.jpg

Paphiopedilum sangii

The long wait of it's flower came to its end and I like it very much.

paph_sangii.jpg

paph_sangii_1.jpg

close-ups of staminode and pollen:

paph_sangii_2.jpg

paph_sangii_3.jpg

hi Guru,

the pictures the Paph. sanghii are almost Art
you did a great job capturing their beauty
best wishes for 2011
thanx for sharing
cliokchi

A very smart callosum Rudolf!!! And for sangii, I just can agree with cliokchi's post (I was trying to formulate before reading him, but that's it: I never was a fan of sangii but you have really captured it artistically) !!!! Jean

Very nice Rudolf. Love the sangii in particular. Not every day you see this species posted. Well done in succeeding to grow this.

David

The callosum looks a bit sad in the presence of that sangii! But I'm sure once it gets going with more growths it will shine as brightly!

First of all thanks everybody for their kind comments ans sorry for the delay but I was more busy than usual in the last few days.

....Can you highlight some of the history and culture of your sangii?
Rick, I’m slightly embarrassed ‘cause I’m just a indoor grower who doesn’t own a greenhouse or conservatory and therefore my experiences might not be generalised. I’ve been growing my Paphs on few window sills but the majority of them on the room floor in front of windows which reach down to the room floor (there is no window sill).
I purchased this P. sangii as a young plant about two years ago and since then I’ve been growing it together with other related species of the subgenus Sigmatopetalum on the floor of my computer room.
From my literature the origin of P. sangii is the northern part of the Indonesian island Sulawesii (Celebes). It grows their in leaf litter at the ground of open woods at an altitude between 400-800 m. Therefore it should be cultivated semishaded in intermediate to warm conditions. Due to the proximity of it’s habitat to the equator it should be kept in these condition all year long.
That’s what I try to do. Unfortunately due to the floor heating is the temperature in winter time sometimes higher and the humidity lower than in summer. I water all my Paphs once a week and I don’t spray them due to the lack of air movement.

The information of Orchid-Wiki ( http://orchids.wikia.com/wiki/Paphiopedilum_sangii ) are similar to my literature.

....How difficult is sangii to grow? .....
It's just from my experience but I would say not more or less difficult than other Paphs from its relatives of the Sigmatopetalum subgenus.

New photos

I'm very pleased with my Paphs this spring and during the term I havn't posted here many of my Paphs were in flower.
So I think it's time to share these photos with you.
The last in flower was
Paphiopedilum emersonii

paph_emersonii.jpg

paph_emersonii_1.jpg

paph_emersonii_2.jpg

paph_emersonii_3.jpg

Paphiopedilum tonsum
I cut its flower about 3 weeks ago to prevent the plant from damage and put it in a vase and it's been still in flower there.
paph_tonsum.jpg

paph_tonsum_1.jpg

paph_tonsum_2.jpg

Paphiopedilum argus

paph_argus.jpg

paph_argus_1.jpg

paph_argus_2.jpg

Paphiopedilum acmodontum

paph_acmodontum.jpg

paph_acmodontum_1.jpg

paph_acmodontum_2.jpg

paph_acmodontum_3.jpg

Paphiopedilum bellatulum

paph_bellatulum.jpg

paph_bellatulum_1.jpg

paph_bellatulum_2.jpg

paph_bellatulum_3.jpg

Paphiopedilum concolor

paph_concolor.jpg

paph_concolor_1.jpg

paph_concolor_2.jpg

paph_concolor_3.jpg

Last but not least a reliable bloomer and contrary to many other 'albums' its a vigorious grower

Paphiopedilum godefroyae f. album

paph_godefroyae_album.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_1.jpg

paph_godefroyae_album_2.jpg

Very nice flowers your sharing with us.

I'm also impressed by the quality of the pictures you take.

Well done!

Latest posts

Back